ad: Schulman-1

ICQ Podcast Episode 229 - Small Computers for Ham Radio Released

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jan 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICQ Podcast Episode 229 - Small Computers for Ham Radio

In this episode, Martin M1MRB / W9ICQ is joined by Chris Howard M0TCH, Martin Rothwell M0SGL, and Ed Durrant DD5LP to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief, and this episode’s features is Small computers for Ham Radio.

We would like to thank our monthly and annual donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include:-

• End of Norwegian FM
    • RAYNET Supporting Jaywick Evacuation
    • Illegal Drone Transmitters Complaint
    • CW Saves Man with Broken Leg
    • Czech Keep 60m Band for 2017
    • Small Changes to Australian Plan
    • School Wins ARRL Grant

The ICQPODCAST can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2017-1-22_18-5-44.png

K0PIR and K9PLG like this.
  2. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a raspberry pi2 with a uri connected to a ht! I had someone help down load the software and now that we don't talk I am wondering if I should reset my pi2 and try to do everything by scratch??? the Pi2 has a Allstar number 43256 and I no longer even know what software to down load to make the pi2 work?? I think its Putty and something else?? ADVICE helpful

3. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for highlighting small computers. Ham apps can run on them.

I am using a RPi3 and have a few apps running on it. The latest app working is CQRLOG 2.04 and it is working (remote) with WSJT-X and Fldigi, so WSJT-X logs to CQRLOG. CQRLOG is difficult to install, unlike WSJT-X and Fldigi.

IMO WSJT-X by itself is a lot of fun, so is Fldigi. I played with Fldigi in a RTTY contest and it worked pretty good. It's not going to replace my i5 laptop, N1MM Logger+ and MMTTY, but it's fun to experiment with.

I use the Raspberry Pi 3 with my Icom 7300. It's a simple setup. One cable and the USB Audio CODEC. I have heard others using different rigs and a Signalink with success too.

The possibilities are endless and it's going to get better, smaller, faster.

Best 73,
    Rich, K0PIR
    www.k0pir.us

4. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple of RPi 3's and use VNC. PUTTY I have used before too for logging into the console. I don't know if VNC will work on the Pi 2, but it could be worth exploring.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  5. GM7VSB

GM7VSB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VNC works a treat on the Pi3 both hardwired and WiFi, so I suspect it'll be fine on the Pi2.

Currently running a MI0IOU Wobbulator on Pi3, which is superb.
    Previously built a Rotator controller around a Pi B, worked fine, but was slower than I really required for control.

Now looking for a future project to utilised the Pi B.
    Also have a couple of Intel Galileo 2 boards, and investigating various projects on them.

K0PIR likes this.
  6. AB9S

AB9S Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to administer the Pi, and all you have is a windows box, then yes, youll need to download PuTTy, and then look at your router, and find out the IP address the Pi is getting from your router ( 192.168.xx.xx...etc) then put that address in Putty and use the ssh protocol, and port 222 ( the standard Allstar SSH port)......you should then be able to connect to the PI at a command line. If you have that node number, you probably have a fairly recent setup. Unless there is something wrong, in all reality you should be able to fire up the pi, and get in the network.

If the pi was setup with a desktop GUI, you can also after you get to the command line, as the root ( or sudo user) do an update sudo apt-get update, and then install xrpd ( sudo apt-get install xrpd) this will install the files necessary to to see your PIs desktop on a windows box using MSTSC ( or better known as remote desktop) just use the RPis IP address in the computer field, and the root credentials for the user name and PW. Since you are your own network its not a security issue.....now through RDP on a windows box you can drive the rpi as though you were using the Pis keyboard and mouse, while the Pi is heeadless...works great!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    W6TEK and K0PIR like this.
  7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Good segment. I did a similar presentation for our club a few weeks ago to try to generate some interest. It is worth noting, many consider the Raspberry Pi, Beaglebone Black, et al, to be single-board computers, while the Arduino and Basic Stamp are microcontroller development boards.

Saw a good presentation on SDR stuff the other day at a hamfest, and the presenter suggested using an RTL-SDR dongle with a later Pi to make a stand-alone receiver.

K0PIR likes this.