ad: QSLWorks-1

ICOM to make PTT satellite based radio for world communications.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K3GD, Jun 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, so?

When you need Iridium, you pay for it.

Kinda like a helicopter. If you don't need it, don't pay for it. Carry it out. Tell me it's worth the $saved.

I love my Garmin Intouch. Iridium texting, not $cheap, but there when I need it.

Plus, Iridium is just badass.

Read up on the constellation, how it came about (80s Star Wars tech!), how many times Motorola threatened to deorbit it... How many lives saved, adventures enabled... Amazing.

Not to mention... Iridium NG....

2. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Coyotes and smugglers have first dibs.

3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

rag chewers are the reason why i like ft8

K6CLS likes this.
  5. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does it make phone calls too?

6. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Telephone calls on the units are over and above this cost. If I recall correctly, calls are $1.99/minute. The PTT is unlimited. There is also a $50/unit setup fee like cell phones. I believe there are some other fees as well. And, unlike a cell phone, you have to be outside in the clear for them to operate under most circumstances. I have a sat phone I use when I'm out in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage but it will not work under heavy foliage or indoors.

7. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

A very cool and very useful system ! :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

8. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I tested the Icom IC-SAT100 PTT over the weekend and it works.
    - Expect on/off times of availability depending on the terrain/environment around you
    - Set your expectations of operability to that of working amateur radio satellites except the availability will be much more frequent ( 5 min on / 5 min off )
    - Some packet loss at times, but audio was fine when working
    - A 1.6 GHz range hand held yagi antenna would provide longer talk time when a satellite is close to the horizon or through foliage
    - The free iWatchSAT iPhone/Android app helps to observe the location of current and upcoming satellites and their footprint as well as their direction

Most people on foot would probably not want to pack a 1.6 GHz Yagi with their gear and that's fine, it does work as sold. Still, if you're not on foot when headed into nowhere, the gain of a Yagi with a short patch cable would be a significant improvement. This really helps when a sat is at a low angle and foliage is in the way. Of course, how often do you plan on using it and when you do use it how reliable do you need it to be?

As my buddy said when trying it out, "This isn't like some Steven Seagal movie where he's talking on a sat phone inside of a building".

If one does not require voice communication, something like the Garmin SE+ and the monthly or annual subscription may be fine, as it offers text/email as well as a button to call for help...well once the Iridium satellite is in range and not blocked by stuff.

I'll follow-up with more details, if notable, while using it.