Icom Releases New HT -- ID-31A Plus 5W UHF D-STAR Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Dec 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

How do they sell any of these radios with the Chinese stuff floating around for under $100.

2. N5MFA

N5MFA Ham Member QRZ Page

The signing up process for d-star gets a d-minus. I've got an Icom ID-5100 sitting here all hooked up that can't be used because I am waiting on somebody somewhere to click on a box. It's been over two weeks since I've registered. I've emailed several people trying to kick this process out of neutral with no results. There has got to be some better system for signing up people who want to get involved in this mode of communication. This is ridiculous. Any ideas I am all ears.........

KK4HPY and KA3YAN like this.
  3. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

N5MFA === call HRO in Atlanta. There is a guy named Josh who seems to know most everything about getting connected to DStar. And you are right 2 weeks is way to long of a wait. Josh will have you up and running in 5 minutes. If Josh is not around ask for MARK the manager, he is also very knowledgeable when it comes DStar........

KA3YAN likes this.
  4. N5MFA

Thanks I will call them tomorrow....

5. N5MFA

Robert I called HRO today, Josh no longer works there but Mark the manager helped me out and I am now on Dstar, I will now stop bitching I appreciate your help see you on the bands!

K8XG likes this.
  6. KA2BSM

KA2BSM Ham Member QRZ Page

D-Star and System Fusion radios are NOT over priced. They are made in Japan and use better components.
    How can you compare them to Chinese clone knock offs.
    Motorola make DMR radios that you can drive a truck over... are they too exoensive too?
    You get what you pay for.

N6UTD, KC9BNW and M6BXG like this.
  7. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO the worst thing in modern digital amateur radio is proprietary codec. This is not a matter of price anyway. One could donate to voluntary developers much more than retail price of commercial product. Proprietary codec just violates HAM spirit. Situation is seemed to be absolutely stupid. There is free codec; why aren't we (I mean radios from Big Three) using it?

W4BMF likes this.
  8. KA5DJS

KA5DJS Ham Member QRZ Page

All you have to do is send the admin an email and it will be done.

9. W4BMF

W4BMF Ham Member QRZ Page

I would consider a D-Star radio if they also included DMR as a mode out of the box. For $300+ it should be a multi-mode digital radio.

10. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because the China radios sound bad. I have most of them and the Moto DMR, Yaesu Fusion, and 3 D-star radios. Everyone on a Moto $400 radio on DMR sounds good. Folks including myself when using a MD-380 sound like a CB with the Modulation Diode clipped. Many in DMR ask them to adjust the TX AGC, but unlike a Moto the MD-380s do not have such a feature. The newer G2-G3 d-star radios have the new AMBE chips and sound almost as good as C4FM Fusion in DN mode.

On Analog the Beo radios are single SDR chips and the receive is about 35% of the range of a Kenwood or Yaesu radios receiver. Yes I have owned most all of them to test and then gave away them. They also have spurs so bad, someone must have paid off the FCC, as Anytones are much better than the Beo radios. [I have snap shots off my calibrated spectrum analyser I could post of the UV6R, when you take off its antenna, the power on 299mhz spur is greater than the 2 meter fundamental. the factory antenna is the filter]

FYI on 50% duty cycle, DMR has 1/2 the average power of C4FM at 100% duty cycle. I'll let the folks that know explain that one.