ad: CQMM-1

Icom launch innovative IC-R8600 wideband communication receiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but where do you install it in a radio that doesn't have a socket for it? You can get LF filters for any frequency you want, but if your closed-source radio doesn't support that band, it doesn't support that band.

There are some newer radios with transverter interfaces that will give you a low (e.g., 1mW) signal on LF bands, and you then are responsible for taking that through an amplifier and LPF. If you have one of those radios, you are much closer than most folks.

NL7W likes this.
  2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You may find this DEFCON presentation on P25 interesting.

3. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm retired USAF (DOD). Moreover, I have worked for the DOJ and DHS surrounding encrypted LMR, starting with DES in the 80's and then moving to AES in the 2000's. In the mid-2000's, I garnered $1.375M from the DOD and the DOJ to accomplish a RDT&E project surrounding the backhaul of AES encrypted P25 voice traffic via contentious IP over satellite systems and the Internet. It was somewhat successful, requiring specific Radio over IP (RoIP) gateways, packet header compression, stack optimization and AES bulk encryption before SATCOM transmission. The latency was on the order of 1.5 to 2 seconds, though this latency was tolerable in a half duplex system! I proved that LMR wireless transmissions could be encrypted at both ends of an LMR voice circuit, with similarly bulk encrypted long-distance voice carriage via SATCOM and the Internet. Fun times back then.

Using an encrypted P25 LMR VHF or UHF radio on their persons, my work eventually led to special operators, battlefield users, and or law enforcement personnel in remote areas (Middle East deserts for example) being able to enjoy encrypted voice comms to rear areas or an HQ halfway around the world. Nowadays, Internet standards have adeptly addressed QoS requirements for higher-order voice and video circuits, as well as the parsing of networks' bandwidth. RoIP and VoIP reliably transit worldwide IP circuits -- including SATCOM. I pushed the envelope in 2005... and proved it could be done.

Now I manage a medium-sized city's digital trunked public safety mobile radio system. It's my second and final career doling out a real government retirement. It's a great gig till I retire in 12 to 15 years.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  4. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL. Tell that to my 6 meter yagi when trying to receive something in the 40M band.

5. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  6. KG4UKF

KG4UKF Ham Member QRZ Page

The aor ar-dv1 digital receiver will do almost any mode you may wanna hear. Analog, p25, d-star, fusion, nxdn (no 9600 mode tho) dmr, tetra, for around $1200. Not a bad radio for what it is.

7. VK5FUSE

VK5FUSE Ham Member QRZ Page

ICOM for technology, Clearly Ahead in Development! I just want one :) .
    Because i'm a mad SWL from down under. Sdr.org is good & Free, But this
    receiver ticks all the boxes for me:rolleyes: .
    guess i just like icom radios more than others .

NL7W likes this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I cannot justify such an expensive receiver, though would love having one at the right price (to me, it's worth about a Grand).
    Besides, I still have a minty IC-R75 that suits my needs for the foreseeable future. I pull audio off its recorder out jack and amplify it with a Bogen 20-Watt Classic series PA audio amp. In turn, this amp drives a JBL bookshelf speaker. The recovered audio is sublime. :)

VK5FUSE likes this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

They're not really important for transmitting either.

Resonance is vastly over rated.

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd do much better receiving 40 meters to just throw a long length of wire out a window to a tree. It won't be any more resonant, but it will work pretty well.

11. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

You missed my tongue in cheek response to this... "resonant antennas are important for transmitting, not receiving."
    That is why I said "LOL. Tell that to my 6 meter yagi when trying to receive something in the 40M band."

I have enough antennas and use a resonant or as close as possible to receive..I DON'T use my 6 meter yagi to RECEIVE the 40 meter band.

By the way; to someones earlier statement, FPGA's have nothing to do with receive resonence.

What a ludicrous statement.

12. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

13. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a Electromagnetic Spectrum Authority out of NYC, working in the commercial field. Essentially I had carte blanche access to most roof tops (unlike the broadcast engineers that worked there, without a damn good reason for wanting roof access), with the WTC, tower 1 being the highest. I have also crawled around inside the tiny nooks and crannies of Tower 1's top floors looking for spots to possibly place individual base stations (the PANYNJ had stub locations left, but really no more room to set up another station). If you read the very beginning of my QRZ page you'll see a blip mentioned about it. I even CAD'd the roof and the 110th floor of WTC 1 and knew the building very well. Those were very interesting times with titillating secrets. BTW, it was ALWAYS very windy up there. I have tons of photos in a 'brag book' because I would always bring my camera with me.

VK5FUSE likes this.
  14. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

15. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now $2,295 at HRO.