ad: portazero-1

Icom launch innovative IC-R8600 wideband communication receiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember when the first Honda cars came onto the US market back around 1970 or 1971---the original Honda Civic was only $1,200 or thereabouts and couldn't have been more basic. I miss those no-frills days; the world has gone totally insane now...

Jeff

KK5JY likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that thought every day. Then I get up the next day and find new reasons why I had no idea just how insane when I thought that the day before.

But yeah, I really like the "work truck" models. Of course, the one I have still has dual-zone A/C and a CD player. So it's not really as "basic" as it's name would imply. Maybe that's why I like motorcycles, despite the shortcomings of using one as a regular vehicle -- I can still get plenty of motorcycle models that are just one step up from riding a horse. :)

Then again, I can't even buy a decent motorcycle for $1200 in 2017... :rolleyes:

3. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AK5B

OK; so I guess things are actually more expensive in the UK to begin with (I forgot about that). At $2600 or whatever it's still cheaper than across the second pond which makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

All a moot point for me and a lot of others---doubt one will ever be in my future---even if I do win the Lotto.

5. AK5B

I'm still riding our little 49cc 2003 Honda Ruckus around town here---such a blast! Sold all of my big Beemers but am hanging onto this tiny scooter for good. Paid exactly $1200 for it in Hawaii back in 2005 virtually new from the original owner (what a coincidence you came up with that $1200 figure, too!). Wish I knew how many miles I put on it since then--the speedo broke around 8000 miles and that was a long time ago.

"Rucca" starts up every time and just keeps on going... Smoother than any horse I've ridden, too.

Jeff

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this still limited to typical ICOM 3.6kHz with a the IF shifted 300Hz? Or, can it listen like an SDR can to what ever the operator sets it to?

7. N5AF

N5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on your definition of decent. Co-worker of mine had one of these and loved it: http://tinyurl.com/y8qn2t6y

250cc "Enduro" style. Some videos and reviews of it on YouTube. It fits into my category of play around fun bike. Reminds me of my 1981 Yamaha DT-175 , only not a two-stroke. The RPS Hawk is not something you'll tour the country on, unless you are under 25 and completely crazy. My co-worker was able to register it for street use in Texas, other states, YMMV.

Man, I miss the two-strokes.. Gave up motorcycling 22 years ago. Did keep the endorsement on my license. Decided I wanted to live. Too many idiots on the road.

Ham radio is a safer hobby. ;)

AK5B likes this.
  8. AK5B

It's one of those new Baofeng Handi-Motos! Like many of the tools at Harbor Freight; who cares about how long they last as long as you get your money's worth for a decent while, eh?

Looks like a lot of fun, too. If I lived way out west I'd have to get one of those, for sure (but South Texas is flat and totally boring for motorcycles).

Jeff

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats
    in British pounds. At current exchange rate $3327.35 U.S.
    Price is going up...

10. N5AF

N5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Dammit man! I almost choked on a mouthful of coffee!

Good analogy there, although I think the RPS Hawk is probably a lot easier to operate and maintain than a Baofeng.

I've got lots of hills, woods and trails, would be a fun bike. Problem is most of the woods and trails are in the Davy Crockett National Forest, and one has to be very mindful of where you drive motorized vehicles. Park Rangers don't take too highly to bikes, ATVs, etc. on trails marked for horses and foot travel only.

AK5B likes this.
  11. KM4JZJ

KM4JZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not paying that much just for a receiver. I'll Keep listening to SW on my Grundig.

N6SPP, N5AF and KK5JY like this.
  12. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I followed that link, but I'm pretty sure the JavaScript on the page is broken, because that "sale price" looks a little low: ;)

upload_2017-10-13_12-16-12.png

Yeah, I struggle with that, as well. I would really like to continue to ride, but the danger level is non-trivial, and cell phones are making it continually worse. I even see bikers fiddling with their phones as they roll down the road. :rolleyes:

Usually. Then again, I am taken to occasional customizations to my tube amplifier with a 3kV plate supply. :D

N5AF likes this.
  13. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Like comparing an 1980s VW Rabbit to a 2018 Audi A8.

Sure, they'll both get you to the grocery store, but one is gonna be a whole lot more fun with options than the other. :)

14. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Not for that price.

15. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think Icom has lost all common sense. I don't care how good of a receiver it is. At this price if it isn't making me money it's a bad deal. Icom had a big hit with the 7300. You think they might take the hint and invest in NPIs for the average person. After all, this is just a hobbie for most of us.