ad: elecraft

Icom ID-4100A release debut

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. DO1YJW

DO1YJW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are exactly two mobile VHF/UHF-D-Star Radios on the market: ID-5100 and now ID-4100. I really can´t understand what´s so hard to follow why they brought an ID-4100. There are people on the earth using repeater stations when driving around instead of using handhelds with LTE/mobile-connected hotspots. They are now able to chose between big display or small display but great useability. The former ID-880 was just horror to use without a manual. The ID-4100 can be used very easy because there´s much more place for options on the display. If you want it nice, simple and small....the ID-4100 is the right one! More room available....use the 5100. So what...?!

2. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

They blew it by not giving it dual receive but it won't hurt them because like you said it's pretty much the only game in town.

3. W8MPX

W8MPX Ham Member QRZ Page

AD5 KO no the ID 4100A don't come with the bracket and the magnet for the face the same no magnet face mount

4. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

5100s are $500 at GigaParts right now. Just ordered my 3rd one to put in my RV/GoBox

5. K5IKR

K5IKR Ham Member QRZ Page

Any other 4100 owners find this to be true? Thanks

"I recently purchased a new ID-4100A from Gigaparts and have been setting it up over the weekend. I bought it to replace my ID-880H which I have had for years. One of the main reasons I bought it was for the built in GPS, and the Terminal and Access point modes. Much to my surprise there was virtually no information in the manual about how to use them. I searched the internet and found several instructions and used them to attempt to setup an access point using the 4100A, but I just couldn't get it to work. Now my understanding of an access point in DTAR is that it should be like a DVAP or SharkRF or a D-HAP. You can imagine my disappointment when I discovered that the 4100A access point and terminal mode is nothing like that. If fact I wouldn't call it disappointment as mush as plain disgust. I feel that Icom has pulled a fast one on America since the 4100 uses a form of call sign routing to accomplish what the call an access point. I found this on W6CX website during my search for information on how to configure the access point on the 4100A; "But you should be aware Terminal and AccessPoint modes only work using ICOM Callsign Routing. This means when you connect to another gateway through the internet and transmit, you will be heard there, but users who want to reply will need to know how to use Callsign Routing and capture your callsign (usually by pressing the radio's Callsign Capture button while you are still transmitting). If they don't do that, you will not hear their reply. The same applies to when you want to reply to a callsign routed call. This means Terminal and Access Point features do not support linked connections to reflectors. This fact is not always obvious from reading the sales literature. " I am tempted to return the radio to ICOM, but I bought it through Gigaparts and I don't think they will take it back. What is ICOM America planning to do about this? Is there a fix or is it up to the local clubs and individuals to work around the issue like W6CX did? I am very disappointed in ICOM for advertising this radio as something that it isn't."

6. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

"This means when you connect to another gateway through the internet and transmit, you will be heard there, but users who want to reply will need to know how to use Callsign Routing and capture your callsign (usually by pressing the radio's Callsign Capture button while you are still transmitting). If they don't do that, you will not hear their reply."

Um. This is how D-Star works. If a person you want to talk to is not on your local gateway, you must do one of three things:

1) Capture their callsign in your UR field (preferred method, this is a handy button on most radios, or can be automatic)
    2) Set your radio to make a remote gateway call putting whatever their gateway is in RPT2 (works, but non-preferred method)
    3) Permalink your local gateway to their local gateway (even less preferred)

There is not really anything for ICOM America to do about this. This is just how D-Star works.

KF2M likes this.
  7. K5IKR

K5IKR Ham Member QRZ Page

Another way of saying the review is.....ICOM's Terminal and Access Point feature supports linked connections to reflectors in (a more annoying way) that, users have to press the radio's Callsign Capture button while you are still transmitting. If they don't do that, you will not hear their reply.

I didn't write the long review above, i'm just trying to understand why the user didn't like the ICOM Terminal and Access Point feature method. Most folks like DVAP users don't have to press the radio's Callsign Capture button while you are still transmitting for linked connections to reflectors correct? While Icom's Terminal and Access Point method, you do. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017