ad: Schulman-1

Icom ID-4100A release debut

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G0URK

G0URK Ham Member QRZ Page

Integrated GPS unlike the 880, was always a major lacking feature for a D-Star mobile, also terminal and access point mode will negate the use for DVAP's etc , I always liked the 880 and thought it would be a great 2nd mobile radio for the 2nd car, will be waiting for this now.

2. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand the need for yet another radio. Ever since I saw the 5100, I wanted one, just couldn't afford it.
    Now there's yet another radio out? According to Rixpix, the 5100a came out in 2014, and we're barely into 2017.
    I was saving for an IC-91, and finally had enough saved when the IC-92 came out so I got that.
    Even though the black finish is coming off, the thing still works, and I see no need to replace it.
    Maybe I'm old school, but I use something until it no longer works and I can't fix it.
    I'm curious as to what the differences is between the two radios, but I do think that I'll keep saving for a 5100.

3. KJ6RGX

KJ6RGX Ham Member QRZ Page

DStar repeater function looks promising...

4. PU7LSB

PU7LSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I mean This radio will not pass add Warp to be able to operate itself is already a Vap and it has a connection via the internet to be able to operate the to be there so it will not need otherwise only they you already enter via internet

5. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

...what? :confused:

KR6AUL likes this.
  6. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5100 has Dual display. The 4100 is basically an upgraded 880H. Terminal an access modes still don't work on my 51A plus 2 so my guess is they had extra 880H chassis' and needed something to do with them.

7. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't like how it's not ergonomic for mobile use in the US. The main knob should be on the RIGHT so that when a driver is manipulating the main knob, the display is not blocked by their hand. Using the 880H (and 4100) takes awkward hand positioning that can cause RSI.

Terminal and access modes work just fine on your 51A+2. Your D-Star repeater owner just hasn't installed dplus on their G2 gateway or upgraded to G3.

8. PD0JH

PD0JH Ham Member QRZ Page

I care!! Icom is

9. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The 5100 is a "true" dual band radio...doing VHF/UHF, VHF/VHF, or UHF/UHF. The 4100 only does one band at a time.

10. N0RMB

N0RMB Ham Member QRZ Page

why do they put the Mic plug on the radio and not on the remote head.

11. WF4S

WF4S Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if the control head will be interchangeable with the 880 h. Maybe cheap upgrade?

VK5OHR likes this.
  12. KB0VK

KB0VK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 5100 want to here more about the 4100
    got a ut 133 a for it

13. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

The audio, ADC, and filtering needs to be done where the RF deck is. Plus, not having a jillion cables come out of the remote head makes for a cleaner installation. One thing I despise about the ID-880H is that the cable comes out of the side and not the back. It's impossible to install the remote head cleanly.

14. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

They put numbers on it today - $459 without mounts or $499 with. No dual receive? Looks like 5100 for me then.

15. CT7AHQ

CT7AHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    The ID-4100 has many, many improvements over the ID-880:
    (1) GPS included;
    (2) Voice recorder (no time limit, on the SD card);
    (3) Voice keyer;
    (4) Terminal mode access point (no need to by DVAP/DV4MINI/DVMEGA): it's included inside radio;
    (5) Hotspot function (no need to by DVAP/DV4MINI/DVMEGA);
    (6) Memory names with much more characters,
    (7) Fast data mode (3x facter than ID-880)
    (8) Bluetoth (option)

Considering that the price is similar, I'm happy to see ICOM is deeply commiter to keep theit products on the leadin edge, incorporating new functions and technologies. The new hams will be very happy to buy IC-4100 instead of the ID-880, I think.

73 CT7AHQ

VK5OHR likes this.