ad: MLSons-1

Icom ID-4100A release debut

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom Japan announced today they will be releasing a new 50W dual band mobile called the ID-4100A. A welcome replacement for the recently retired ID-880H, the new ID-4100A enjoys the new terminal and access point modes found in the latest ID-51A-PLUS2. The new ID-4100A also includes:

• DR (D-STAR Repeater) Function with the latest user interface
    • Bluetooth hands-free operation with optional Bluetooth unit
    • Integrated GPS
    • MicroSD card slot
    • A full dot-matrix display with easy-to-read characters and icons
    • Compact and detachable control head
    • Enhanced remote control apps for smartphones and tablets (optional Bluetooth unit required)

This radio cannot be offered for sale or lease in the US until it has received FCC certification. However, you can reserve one now with a $35 deposit at GigaParts.com!

Attached Files:

2. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this radio come with a mounting bracket? I ask because I notice that some of the previous models do not.

Having to pay extra for a mounting bracket on a mobile radio is not acceptable and it makes Icom look cheap charging for one as an extra item.

For example this mobile radio does not come with a mounting bracket.
    ICOM IC-2730A
    144 / 430 MHz Dual Band 50 Watt FM Transceiver
    HRO Discount Price: $329.95*

Plus:

IC-MBF4

Mobile Mounting Bracket - IC-2730 / ID-5100 - With Screws
    $34.95

Both of my mobiles are Icoms.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    N6CEK and AE0DM like this.
  4. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh my....
    Randy Melton
    KA4AQM

5. KC0MVF

KC0MVF Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to figure out the differences between the 4100 and the 5100. So far all I can tell is the control head layout and bluetooth being standard on the 4100.

6. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I am sure glad I have a IC-7100 ! So I do not need to buy this new one ! ICOM is KING !!! Phil KI6PMD ..

7. W1JFH

W1JFH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, Icom. Wonderful, just #&€$ wonderful! ! No price, no firm availability, not fcc approved (yet.) I've been following the Icom R8600 escapade since about last August and still no price, availability, or certification. Maybe March, maybe May, who knows. Same deal here apparently.

They have ignored the basic rule of retail: "You can't sell stuff from an empty wagon. "
    My response is, "don't anybody hold their breath." Followed by, "who cares?"

KG5EXW likes this.
  8. AF4KK

AF4KK Ham Member QRZ Page

:) I care!! Icom is an awesome company and they release quality products! They don't "rush" the radios to market; make sure it all WORKS first!! ;)

9. 2E0IKM

2E0IKM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No DV mega needed for the 4100..

MM6KHA likes this.
  10. N5WD

N5WD Ham Member QRZ Page

So, I can either take my IC-51+ and my DV Mega dual band radio that's strapped onto a Raspberry Pi2 and talking to an AT&T hotspot for internet access (let's say $200 total) OR I can talk to the 4100-A that's linked to my AT&T hotspot (let's take a guess at $500 or so) and talk to it with my IC-51+ using the 4100-A as a hotspot. Hmmmm,... let me think about this for a while....

Sorry -just don't see that as a big selling point. You might have more power out on the hotspot simplex frequency, but if you run the radio at 50watts for very long, you'll burn it up... and you'd probably use the main VHF/UHF antenna for the 4100'd hotspot, but I run my hotspot on a little quarter-wave mag mount, and it does a faitly good job with its 100 miliwatts.

If they price it low enough, it might make a good mobile radio replacement for the 5100. Guess time will tell.

73 Wayne N5WD
    Normally listening to Ref 004B

11. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be great if we can get an all-mode version, but I can use the 706MkIIG until then :rolleyes:

12. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

So what is really different about this from the ID-880H besides the integration of all the previous models optional extra accessories into the one new product?

All I can see is a display that will be harder to see when driving and the hand mic that offers a lot less functionality than the previous model.

[​IMG]

So what is the big rapture about as there is no C4FM, DMR, Wires-X, SSB, SDR integration options or anything really besides the immediate unavailability of the previous model?

I luv my ID-880H and can't see any real advantage offered in this new rehash of an existing product!

...is there?

13. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

14. G1ZRN

G1ZRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Check the small print, Bluetooth is an option as it is on the ID-5100.

Cheers,
    Mike G1ZRN.

15. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes, they just have to modernize an existing line....

VK5OHR likes this.