ad: dxeng

ICOM IC 707 HF Transceiver

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by VU2LOL, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. VU2LOL

VU2LOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Icom IC 707 HF Transceiver which looks like

It was not in use for quite a long time. Now, when I brought the equipment into use again, I am facing some problem, which seems to be stubborn.
    When I switch on the rig, and the squelch is turned on, no signals are received; but there is a continous loud tone coming out through speaker.
    What I predict is dat the rig is unable to receive the RF signals and some other internal signal is being generated which is heard through speaker.
    I want some help on it, if someone could suggest me a way to bring it to operation again..

2. KE3WD

KE3WD Ham Member QRZ Page

In storage for "long time" -- always, always, the first thing to do is open 'er up and use Dexit or equivalent cleaner/lube spray on all controls, switches, to include any rotary switch contacts (BUT NEVER use on any AC power switches!!) and also hand tighten all circuit board hold down screws you can find, as often they are also ground points.

Corrosion of switch, control and relay contacts, grounds, etc. can cause these kind of symptoms and it is imperative to do the above before attempting anything else as just that can often restore proper operation and in many cases even return circuits to calibration, or close to it. Corrosion and dry contacts can insert some pretty high resistances into circuits. Cleanliness, next to Godliness...

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't recall much about that rig (I've heard of it, and that's about all) but from your description it sounds like it's actually creating a CW "sidetone," like it's switched to the CW mode and believes it is being keyed.

Does it do this in "all" modes?
  4. VU2LOL

Tnx KE3WD..
    This sounds helpful.
    n I will definitely try it out.
    Tnx agn..
  5. VU2LOL

Yes the rig is producing the same tone in all modes.
    and yes the fact told by you might be the possible case.
  6. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

uh oh, hope it's had a 50 ohm load on it, or it just "thinks" it's being keyed. (no rf out)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.