Icom IC-706 MKiiG and DCS

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N6ITE, Jul 14, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6ITE

N6ITE Ham Member QRZ Page

My local repeaters recently changed to DCS. Now my MkiiG isn't talking to them. I have others in the area, but those were my goto. I tried to update but the rig is only saying T or T-Sql. Am I going crazy or am I right and the hardware doesn't have DCS? (I still might be going crazy though.)

I have an ID-51A+ so I can still reach them, but i like using the 706 and don't like it being hampered that way.

Any help is appreciated!

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are, as they say, SOL. The IC-706 in any iteration, is now rather passé, and vital parts have become nonobtainium.

K4MSC and WB4M like this.
  3. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True, time to update! With current discounts, rigs such as Icom 7100 are not much more than some guys are asking for 706's.

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 7100 & the 7000. I much prefer the 7000 for mobile use, as the video output & having the display in color makes operation on the fly much safer. I "Think" the only real major difference would be having the D-star in the 7100. I am sure there are minor differences, but nothing major, that I know of.

Ed

WA8FOZ likes this.
  5. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree completely. I used to have 706 and upgraded to a 7000. The 7000 has, IMO, the best form factor of any rig for hf mobile; and the video output is especially useful. I have a 7100 as a back up rig inside. Nice shack-in-a-box, but much harder to use and distracting in a mobile setting.

N6ITE likes this.
  6. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My friends wonder why I have a brand-new IC-7000 in a box, along with two complete sets of finals?

WA8FOZ likes this.
  7. N6ITE

N6ITE Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a beautiful rig! Now I know why you have a brand new one in a box as a spare! Not too much different from the 706 by form factor from what I see. I will definitely keep my eye out for this one.