ad: TinyPaddle-1

ICOM IC-705: A slightly different perspective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever it lacks this little Gem makes up and more in so many areas :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

2. K3SSB

K3SSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everything old is new again... looks like a 1950 table radio. ;)

VK2JI likes this.
  3. VE3MAL

VE3MAL Ham Member QRZ Page

With it's "short box" form factor, it would be interesting to see if any of the existing screws could be utilized for a custom 3d-printed "extension" box on the back that could house the rpi, qrp tuner, and/or external battery. That would be interesting to be able to custom add-in whatever you deem missing, while ending up with the traditional HF radio shape/form-factor, and zero wire mess.

VK2JI, N7XCZ, K3SZ and 1 other person like this.
  4. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

It has Dstar in it? Too bad. I don't do Dstar. Since I don't do Dstar, I can't buy it. (Edit, or I should say, I'm not going to buy it.)

5. NA3P

NA3P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This radio is definitely on my wish list.

6. WF7A

WF7A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good take on the radio--I don't think much has been said about how it would be a fun rig to work satellites with; I'm down for that.

I am curious about the comment about being portable and not needing an antenna tuner since all his antennas are resonant, hence no need for one--it makes sense, but in practice that might be a bit optimistic. Worst case scenario: If using a dipole and it's damaged or broken in some way so now you have a non-resonant antenna, then what?

KO4ESA, NG2J and K0PIR like this.
  7. K0GMK

K0GMK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lotsa bells and whistles and a beautiful radio. Price will still be a huge consideration as it still needs accessories like a tuner, proper battery, protection (rails, etc.).

I don’t think Icom is aiming this rig at the FT-818 as that series already has a huge, loyal installed base. I think they see the impending Tsunami of cheap Chinese HF radios on the horizon. Market share is the key in a niche industry like Ham radio. If the ic-705 is a $1K purchase it will be relegated to early adopters, fanboys and the wealthy.

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"The radio has FM? Since I don't do FM, I can't buy it." :rolleyes:

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a very nice little rig, very well designed for portable operations.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too bad it has CW. I don't do CW, so I probably won't buy it.

VK6APZ/SK2022 and W4NNF like this.
  11. ZS6ANT

ZS6ANT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Read all the comment about no tuner , resonant- what if dipole breaks etc..

Then you carry small manual tuner and swr meter

KO4ESA and KF2M like this.
  12. W4EAE

In all seriousness, I really appreciate the perspective. If this price is right, this might actually get me into QRP. Really it is because of all the 'gimmicky' features. The fact that is has 2m and 70cm FM and D-Star means that in certain situations, it can take the place of an HT--except with a screen that is actually usable and a hopefully decent handmic.

If it does come in at under $1,000 we might really have something special. Several months ago, I was looking at Elecraft and it would have cost me more than twice that much to get up and running with their equipment.

KO4ESA likes this.
  13. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very good video. I think Icon might have a winner.

14. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it come with a belt clip. That's important.

15. W4EAE

If the battery is the same, it does indeed have the little screw holes for the beltclip...

KO4ESA likes this.