Icom IC-2730A Tone Encoder Issue

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K5DVT, Sep 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5DVT

K5DVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all-

I got a new in box Icom IC-2730A. It was a trade and so I didn't fill out the warranty. It still had all the plastic covering,etc.

I've ran it in the mobile for a little less than a year now and while going mobile to the Joplin Hamfest a few weekends back I noticed that the radio would not TX a PL tone while in "Tone" mode, but it WOULD while in "TSQL" mode. Now that was in VFO mode. If I switch to memory recall mode and select a repeater with just tone encode (not tone squelch) the repeater comes back to me. I don't think that this may be a hardware related issue as a Tone is generated on TSQL, but maybe it's a firmware issue. I don't use computer programming software on it so it can't be a corrupted "code plug". Maybe a Factory reset would solve this problem? Or it may wipe out all my repeater memories and enable me useless on the non-TSQL repeaters.

Any one else have this issue?
    Do I hear a motion to just factory reset the radio?
    Jon - K5DVT

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not experienced this with my 2730.
    Does this happen on only one particular repeater or more than one? I would check via the menu to verify what mode and tones are set for the affected repeater(s), and also use a second radio such as a tone-squelch capable HT to test for the presence or absence of transmitted PL.
    Programming software does make this a lot easier since you can see and edit all of the parameters for each memory channel on one screen.

3. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

WB2LBV is correct. Repeater owners sometimes change the access tones, and if your signal is weak- the access could be intermittent. Before resetting the radio, I might be tempted to check the SWR from somewhere near the repeater. You are correct, a full reset would probably drop all the memories. Most Icom radios since the 2700 do have a partial reset, in the manual. This also usually drops the memory channels.

4. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I have several ICOMs. They can be a pain in the A** to program.
    One thing is if you don't follow the right sequence it's possible that it's transmitting a different
    PL tone than the T-SQL tone. It's not a friendly mobile stick a repeater in memory radio.