Icom 736 Lost Programming Data

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by K5RWD, Jan 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K5RWD

K5RWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Lost all data/programming

I was able to get this radio back up and fully functioning until I decided to replace the display lamps (pain in the butt). I replaced the two outside inner lamps with LED's successfully however when I drilled the third hole for a center lamp, I lost all radio programming. All lights come on and some buttons work, but it's like it lost all of it's memory and data. I checked where I drilled and it was only through ground padding no traces, so I only surmise that during the process a voltage spike hit the Eprom and dumped the data. I know everything in the other circuits are perfectly functional, so it would be a shame to have to scrap it for this reason.

I have not been able to find any information on how to get this thing reprogrammed. If anyone has an idea send it my way. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

2. N2AYM

N2AYM Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is the memory battery that went south that will be an easy replacement.
    It is a CR-2032 Lithium battery located on the back side of the front panel
    which just swivels to reveal the rear of the front panel(logic unit).

3. K5RWD

Thanks, I will check that but I would assume that even if the battery was bad that I would still have data but it just wouldn't save it at reboot. Will check and replace and see what happens.

Thanks,

4. K5RWD

Battery replacement did not help. I believe either the processor is bad or data has been dumped.

5. VE1IC

VE1IC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think the eprom is bad, but it could be. Wouldn't be the first time. This unit doesn't have a RAM card like some other Icom IC-745,751,761,471,271's had. IC4 on the logic unit should be the ROM in a socket. Take the 27C256 eprom out and try to read it in a programmer like a TL866 etc. If it is full of FF's well you know it is really bad. Usually they drop a bit here and there first, but some radios just died. You can copy a working eprom from a 736 and put it on a new eprom. The eprom doesn't have a window on top for erasing, so it can be programmed one time only. I've got a 735, but that's not going to help you any.

read this: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/icom-ic-736-front-panel-problem/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019