ad: cq2k-1

Icom 7300 vs. Icom 7610 Comparison

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Feb 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not a review, but a comparison between the Icom 7300 and the Icom 7610. If you are considering either radio, please see the conclusion. If you own the Icom 7300 and are thinking of purchasing the Icom 7610, this may help.

7300vs7610.jpg

The 7610 is a much larger transceiver, so there’s more real estate for physical buttons and knobs. Of course Icom isn’t going to please everyone with their choice of what to put on the front or where it is located.

Full article here.

Best 73!

KN4ZU, AJ4WC, KG9D and 1 other person like this.
  2. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

A very good comparison with the two rigs Rich.

Thanks and 73, John

K0PIR likes this.
  3. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

K0PIR likes this.
  4. K0PIR

Nice detailed report on the IC-7610. I just read part of it today.

The 7610 is my dream rig.

73's,

VE7DXW likes this.
  5. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The question is, is one worth 3X more $.

AF4RK, KD9VV and K0PIR like this.
  6. K0PIR

That's the $2,500 question!

I had to put the price difference in the article and I think it comes down to what Hams will use the radio for. The IC 7300 is a great value for the money and does an awful lot, really well.

I am not retired, but I still get to use my radios every day and I really enjoy the hobby. It's my favorite pastime.

Speaking for myself the 7610 is worth it, YES.

73's,

7. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

...a comparison of functions but not performance. That would be a comparison I would like to see.

AK5B, KD9VV and K0PIR like this.
  8. K0PIR

I agree, that makes sense instead of trying to compare them performance wise.

73's,

9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

No, the RX and certainly the TX is not the much different. Of course if looks, size, bells and whistles mean something, it's your money.

K0PIR likes this.
  10. VE3TCV

VE3TCV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No RX antenna button, extensive menu use, no 200W PA or built in power supply. I think for that amount of money they could have included a tad more.

AK5B, KN4RA, G1HYD and 2 others like this.
  11. AG6ZZ

AG6ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I found the nonstop plugs for the web site of K0PIR most annoying. The comparison was just a backdrop for a 6-1/2 minute commercial.

12. K0PIR

I wouldn't want the built in ps and the 200 watts wouldn't make a bit of difference to me. The ergonomics on this radio is very fine. No complaints from me. To each his own.

73's,

N9DOK likes this.
  13. K0PIR

Point taken. It was a little much.

73's,

14. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep...an excellent video all in all, but the constant on and off of the banner and the repeated "please visit my website" was distracting. One mention and a few seconds of the banner would have been enough. We get it. :)

15. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I am not gonna complain about the price of the 7610, and I am certainly ecstatic about the price of my 7300 for what it delivers. I look back in old QST from say, mid 60s. Adjust the prices of those boatanchors for inflation in 2018 dollars. Your value for dollar return is huge compared to those. Of course those old rigs were made in USA, in small factories, not in some division of an electronics conglomerate in Asia somewhere.