Icom 7300 IF output adaptor, finally

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by VE7BPB, Apr 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like somebody figured out how to get the IF output to the back panel.

Gentlemen, start up your RTL-SDR's, hi.

https://www.radioanalog.com/

regards, Roy

K0UO likes this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't see how this can be an IF output when the 7300 doesn't use an IF.
    Its a buffered RF output for a second, external RX.
    Frank

4. G0GSR

5. VA3VF

I did not pay attention to the labelling. I only saw this:

"This adapter allows you to add a receive-only antenna SMA to the Icom IC-7300.
    This easy to install plug-in modification requires no soldering and is easily installed and easily reversible.
    The adapter can also be used for the insertion of accessory items into the receiver chain on the IC-7300 like receive-only bandpass filters, low noise preamps, etc.
    When installed, transceiver will transceive using the SO-239 antenna connector on transmit, and one SMA connector on the adapter on receive.
    To use transceiver in normal transceive operation, leave the RG-316 coax loop installed. "

It appears to be a more professionally made adapter than the one Vibroplex/Inrad makes, in addition to being lower priced.

http://www.inrad.net/product.php?productid=371&cat=181&page=1

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/inr-rx7300

As for the RadioAnalog one, this is why I asked if, at first glance, it's more complicated than it needs to be.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  6. G0GSR

Hi Vince. I would stick with what you already have.
    The Radioanalog module has the advantage of being a high impedance active "tap" of the RX input signal and does look to be nicely made.
    But it cannot be used to insert additional filtering etc. in the RX path like the simpler Inrad modification.

Maybe these people have redefined the abbreviation "IF" to mean something other than "Intermediate Frequency" :)

Frank

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  7. VA3VF

I think it means IF you want to mod the radio, here is a simple and affordable way.:D

WB5YUZ likes this.
  8. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears that nobody actually read , and understood, what was presented on the website. The technical specs are available right there, folks.

regards, Roy

9. VA3VF

I did read it, and read it again. Understanding? Maybe, maybe not. I don't mind being corrected.

There is no question that it's a nice device, beautifully done. Cost aside, I think the vast majority of users would be served as well by the lower priced alternative. In my case, I'll be adding the DX Engineering Receiver Guard Electronic RF Limiters DXE-RG5000HD, to be safe.

The RadioAnalog solution almost looks like a 7300 to 7610 conversion. Let's wait and see it in the hands of users.

10. G0GSR

But their "technical specs" repeatedly misused the term "IF". INTERMEDIATE FREQUENCY
    If we are going to have technical specifications, then lets get the terms correct at least!

Heck, Icom label their "IF tapping point" as "J1431 Main unit RF".
    How many more clues do they need?

Frank

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    KD2ACO, W5PFG and KA0HCP like this.