ad: M2Ant-1

Icom 7300 and W2IHY EQ

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KD8YVC, May 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KC4M

KC4M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whaaat? No offense. Use what you want and work with what you use - same for me. That's what I said. It's discussion. As they say, "If I agreed with everything you said, we'd both be wrong." :-O (hihi - - - that's a joke) Either way, I hope the OP got the answers he needs.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. KD8YVC

KD8YVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I did get what I needed and a much thanks.

3. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

A few thoughts from the cheap seats on all of this.

Headphone monitor functions on a radio serve one purpose: side tone. They're there so you can hear yourself while using headphones/headset, as, for most people, speaking with headphones on and no audio is disconcerting. They are almost certainly not a good indicator of transmitted audio. The receiving circuits are usually simple. And as has been mentioned, bone conduction hearing will greatly color anything you hear. The human head resonates at ~700hz, and response below that is not at all uncommon. It will give you false peaks. Recording and playing back, if it can be done with reasonable accuracy, is probably the best indicator.

Regarding microphones, this is a bit like discussing religion or politics. Ask five people and you'll get eight opinions. The magic sauce is the combination of the radio, the mic, the operator's voice, and the physical circumstances. I've heard spectacular audio out of a $20 karaoke microphone and a little of the radio's internal processing. I've heard people using thousand dollar studio condensers. In general, whatever floats your boat. The key is a proper level and impedance match to the radio, and good rf immunity. A cardioid pattern is handy because a good tight pattern removes most of the room acoustics and fan noises. It works for audio the way a beam works for RF; rejection of undesired signals. Be aware of proximity effect - the enhancement of low frequencies when speaking very close to the mic element. It can be your friend or your enemy depending on how you use it. As you saw in the Scott Shannon clip earlier, many radio stations and others use the Shure SM-7 on voice for that very reason. Cardioid pattern, proximity effect, and some internal contouring. It's essentially the same mic capsule as the SM-57/58. The Electro-Voice RE20 (and variants) is popular also, as it's got a tight cardioid pattern and very little proximity effect. It's all in how you use it.

External processing and equalization can also be a blessing or a curse. I really like the W2IHY products, but why Julian put 16db of boost/cut on the 8 band defies logic. I've seen too many operators get themselves deep in a ditch with that. It occurs to me that if you need potentially 32db of correction in your audio response, the last thing you need is an eq. It's like spice in a dish, a little goes a long way. Same thing with other external devices. I run a cardioid mic, preamp, and a single digital compressor/limiter/eq/gate mainly because I had it. It is level and impedance matched and has good RF immunity. The settings are very conservative and they reduce the amount of work the radio has to do. I've seen people with a 7' rack of all manner of processing devices, and it's maximum overkill at best. While there is something to be said for using the right tools for the job, it doesn't mean you have to throw the entire workshop at it. It's a bit like driving a screw with a hammer - you can, but why would you? There are two things that escape a lot of people's consideration when running a lot of outboard gear. They neglect that they're at the mercy of the radios at both ends of the QSO, transmit and receive. I have a friend who is constantly in the pursuit of broadcast fm quality audio, and I have to remind him that in the unlikely event that he ever truly achieves that, I certainly won't know it because it won't pass the Inrad 2.8khz filters in my receiver. And bass is not necessarily your friend for much the same reason. The filters in your radio are not like to pass it without modification, and trying to overcome that with excessive equalization just overworks and overloads the audio front end of the transmitter. You've all heard "that guy". I happen to like a good, clean, wide audio response because it sound more natural and I find that I can copy better in most circumstances that way. That's not a universal truth, nor is it a universal opinion.

Circling back to the OP, the 7300 has such a nice eq built into it, I can't conceive of needing more. That said, very conservative use of the W2IHY can be a nice tool to fill in the gaps in the combination of mic/voice/room.

4. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that's very true and when used with the Icom mic that has quite a bit of frequency shaping built-in already, you need nothing else.
    Personally, I use an external audio chain and have the radio set to "flat" (Well, as flat as Icom will allow). More for "Optimod" style processing than anything else.

Most Amateurs are ignorant of that. You need to be happy with your own audio and let others make a mess of it of they so wish and politely ignore them when they say that you are too bassy/toppy.

Frank.

5. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, a straight 7300 is one of the better sounding radios fresh out of the box. Add in a basic dynamic of some sort, and there's a lot you can do.

I had a look at your page. I'm using a TC Electronic Finalizer 96k for the processor I referenced earlier. I think the dbMax is the same hardware, just different firmware. Mic is a Sennheiser MD-421 through a Behringer Tube Ultragain 200 pre. With your experience those should be relatively familiar. And that console at the Beeb was impressive. Good job on the color - I wouldn't have known.

That's also true, although in the case of the friend I referenced above, he fiddles with it until the unanimous opinion is that he sounds like crap. I think we've got him convinced to use his RE-320 and the internal eq and leave it alone. Fingers crossed.

6. W3SCA

W3SCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the EQ plus with the Heil PR-40 and PR-781 with all of my Icom's and I always get great audio reports.