ad: dxeng

IC-7800 went belly up! What to do . . . what to do . . . ?????

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W4PG, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member

Just after working the ZL9 this weekend I left the shack for a bit, came back and noted absolutely no output from my 7800 when I keyed it. Thinking I had pushed some button or set something wrong, I looked all around, pushed this and that, but nothing going. NO output, though the ALC meter registered just fine. I quickly wondered if the output transistors had fried, turned up the RF output pot to maximum, keyed the rig again and the breaker blew.

So much for that!!

So now, what to do?? I obviously plan to fix the rig, but here's the deal. It was a "first run" of the model, which I've had since 2005. Lord knows I've run the rig hard and have gotten WAY more out of it than I planned. It has some other problems . . . . RF in the headphone jack, receive preamp 1 blew out after a nearby lightning strike years ago, no 3rd roofing filter . . . .

SSSsssssoooooooo . . . . after getting it fixed, I'm thinking of selling it and either -

1) get a new 7800 with all the modern fixes. Or . . .
    2) looking at another make/model high end rig.

I *really* like the 2nd receiver, and use that quite a bit. Having to get used to the usual "split" feature of most rigs without being able to listen to both frequencies at once is a pain (yup I know, got spoiled, huh??).

I will likely send the rig back to Icom America, which is a long ways from Florida. As an aside, anyone know of anyone that does a good job fixing Icoms?? I don't dare fool around in the innards of these high-fluting, modern rigs with their tiny components.

What to do, what to do???

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member

Kuni W7JV operates as Comtek in Poulsbo, WA and is known as THE place to send broken Icom gear. He used to work for Icom. Folks around here just send it to him.

3. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member

Call Icom up and get a price for new finals installed from them. Once you have this information call up 1 of the ham radio dealers out there and tell them your gently used :eek: 7800 just went South. Tell them what happened and see if they will take your rig in as a trade in for a new 7800 or whatever radio without you having to fix it.

Most dealers have repair facilities and can fix the radio on premisies. Look at the going prices for used 7800 subtract the repair costs and that should give you a starting point for what your trade in should be worth. Get the best new price for a 7800, subtract the trade in value and you might just get upgraded to a new rig for a good price. You can always fix your rig and get the upgrades done at Icom USA and bite the bullet on shipping, is another option.

4. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member

Good thing you worked the ZL9 before this happened...

5. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member

From my reckoning, it would be mighty hard to work ZL9 with the rig in question, after this problem happened, N3AWS. :D

6. W4PG

Well Kuni does not repair the 7800. None of the Icom repair places other than Washington does, so looks like it's headed West!

I do have an IC-7410 for backup and it's a pretty nice rig!! I'm moving more towards fixing the 7800, selling it and getting a new one with the extra features I missed out on with the first run.

.............Bob

7. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator

I have had to send 2 Icom's back to the factory a total of 5 times in 3 years. It is very frustrating. Makes me wonder.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

DX-40 and NC-300.

Take a trip down memory lane.:eek:

Seriously, you might consider the Elecraft K3/P3 (K3 rig with P3 panadapter display) "system" which includes the K3, the P3, KRX3 (2nd internal receiver -- it's really good); KPA3 (100W internal amplifier stage); KAT3 (automatic antenna tuner, internal); KXV3a (interface, required for the P3 panadapter display); KUSB (USB interface which I think is something the 7800 doesn't offer) and a handful of roofing filters. Much more modern technology, probably all combined costs less than the '7800, and might be really fun to use. If I was changing from a 7800 to something else, that's probably what I'd do.

9. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member

Ive been contemplating the K3 for a long time. The last 7 months I have been without any radios and has got me thinking even more. When I moved to Spain, I liquidated most of my shack. We shall see what I actually end up doing with my radio nest egg when I get home.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

Belly up?

Just Turn it Over.

Wonder how many know that joke.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

11. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member

12. W4PG

My first receiver was an NC-300. I love the rig, matched it to an old Gonset GSB-100. I still have the Gonset, but stupidly sold the NC-300 many years ago. I saw a *REALLY* nice NC-300 at Dayton last year . . . keep thinking of putting together that old setup again some day. Will need some more room in the shack (and possibly a bigger A/C!! :) )

Local friend raves about the K3. I might have to look into it and see. Might have to go play with the high-end new Kenwood just to say I checked it out (though not really interested). I never really care for Yaesu HF rigs for some reason . . . always liked Icom!

...............Bob

13. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

Bob, I may have started earlier than you, but my first "really good" receiver was also an NC-300. It was only second hand and I knew the original owner.

I LOVED to be able to "spin the dial" from one end of the band to the other with a quick twist of the knob -- great flywheel drive, there.

My next "somewhat better, but not as cool" RX was a Drake 2B. On SSB, it was better than the National. On AM and CW, probably about equal. But it was like 1/3 the size and 1/4 the weight.

When I graduated to a 75A-4, that was Nirvana. I figured at the time nobody could possibly make a better receiver than that.:p

It's been a while...:eek:

When I grow up I want a KWS-1 to match the 75A-4. I know it's not that great, very big and heavy, and takes five minutes to change bands with all the stuff to tune up.

I want one anyway.

14. N5TWB

N5TWB XML Subscriber

I like the way you think. Got your checkbook handy??? I think mine's in my other jacket pocket...:p

15. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber

Now here is a TRUE radio amateur!!! :)

Tom KCØW

16. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member

As soon as you get it back from Icom sell it, use your backup rig and wait for the TS-990 to come out. Just be careful using an amp, the IC-7410 has an ALC overshoot that can kill your tubes.

17. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member

His back up rig puts my 756 Pro II to shame...

18. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber

See Howard Mills W3HM

19. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber

I agree. Love my 7800 and its been back once - no big deal. Try the 990 when you can.

20. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator

That is funny !! I Like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.