IC-7300 Clock Battery Failure

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by NZ4J, Jun 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or use the radio more often. :)

2. NZ4J

NZ4J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hours. Not so. Maybe weeks or a few months. But hours. Just wrong.
    None of the radios would be able to leave Japan and arrive in the USA or elsewhere in the world market with the batteries in tact if that were true. The math doesn't support your assertion.

Long term storage? Obviously, ICOM missed the mark on that criteria. What is long term? And the damage being done to the batteries during long and deep discharge is the real source of the problem. Loss of performance after deep discharging.

As someone suggested earlier (thanks!), I just did the calculations for exploiting a CR2032 battery. Conservatively, this is a 2.5 year solution. Likely longer depending on the quality of the cell. That is a great solution and does not rely on any form of charging; a Supercap (1F) might takes weeks to charge using the existing charge circuitry.

I am moving on from this thread. Hopefully, those with IC-7300 clock issues will be able to affect a good solution.

Cheers/73

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

24 hours X 30 days = 720 hours. So yes it is hours to me.

4. OE9CBV

OE9CBV Ham Member QRZ Page

i bought the ML1220 - 3V. I hope that this battery will fit ;-) Is it possible to cut the old battery with a wire cutter and solder the new one with a cable to the pins?

5. JG7AMD

JG7AMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I never seen such a discussion in JA yet. But my IC-7300 battery seems to dead.
    ICOM Japan will sell the battery 200 yen. ($1.70) However, it may be dead in 2 years again.
    So I am interested in installing non rechargeable battery like CR2032.
    I guess it is not necessary to remove D381 if I put diode next to CR2032 to prevent charge.
    Even if voltage drop down, RTC(RX-8803LC) should work because minimum required voltage is 1.6V.
    Yoshi JG7AMD

6. JG7AMD

I bought a new battery from ICOM which has 2.46V.
    I removed an old battery from RIG which had 0.87V and the pad supplied 2.99V, it means charge circuit must be OK.
    After installed new one, clock stays runing. Thank you for all information.
    https://amdfactor.exblog.jp/29892574/

7. M0ICJ

M0ICJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just reading all post..
    Battery in trx is ML414HIV01E - 3v. Could we just put in ML2032 ? And it would still get charged as original battery does.

8. JG7AMD

According datasheet, it should work but please try with your own risk.

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

10. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

My clock on the IC7300 resets after 5hrs or so of being switched off.
    Its a common problem my friend whom bought his IC7300 a month before I did has the same problem.
    Hey the battery is 1 mA or something rediculous value like that.

its just a glitch in the Icom design.

73 Jos