IC-7200 TX in SSB, pass-band width question

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by JL1DCA, Sep 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. JL1DCA

JL1DCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello folks,

Its users over there, please share with me your knowledge about what are real about it.
    It seems it has the same frequency-spectrum range in TX mode no matter which If-filter mode is turned on.
    Listening to its moduration with another radio, I can hardly evaluate it as excellent.
    It sounds to me lacking no smooth and natural bass and having enhanced 300~400Hz.
    Any intentional frequency balance change is designed in the radio before the signal reaches the BM?
    I expect it to have a natural and fully overall SSB width.
    Your info will help me a lot.

JL1DCA D. Suzuki

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. JL1DCA

"A path-band" would seem correct......

Do you suppose it to have some intentional frequency-balance change in the radio before the modulation siganal reaches the BM?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  3. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

The HM-36 microphone supplied with the IC-7200 is made in China. Older model IC-7200 HM-36 microphones were made in Japan. The China-made HM-36 mic has been criticized for having poor audio compared to the Japan-made microphone. Do a web search on "HM-36 microphone QRZ" and "hm-36 microphone eham.net" for further information.

Ted, KX4OM

4. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent my IC7200 mic in the mail to AB5N for modification.
    Cost around $40 or so, and gets great signal reports now.

5. JL1DCA

Thank you all for replies.
    I have a SONY's condensor mic at the moment in use with my radio in question.
    Mic audio is supplied at a line level by its ACC jack using an external Behringer tube mic amp.
    Doesn't the radio itself seem to have any issues about audio in TX mode?
    Is a full 3khz path-band width is available with the radio in transmitter mode?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  6. JL1DCA

The one I own. DSC00017.JPG

7. JL1DCA

It was figured out that this radio has its IF filter in TX mode digitally managed and fixed as 2.4Khz wide in SSB.
    This thread is closed.

JL1DCA Yasu,D,Suzuki

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019