ad: ARR

IC-7100 Clock Failure

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KM4KLB, Jan 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. IW1AU

IW1AU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I forgot to tell that voltage arriving from H3R3V should be 3V, so the current flow in principle when IC-7100 is powerized is zero. The issue could arise at end of life of the battery, that will be after some years and in that case the current will be about 30 uA max (worst case).
    I don't feel worried, if I didn't made mistakes....

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear you.

Without A diode, It will be trying to charge a non rechargeable battery.

May not hurt a thing, But could end up with battery acid on the board. :eek:

That voltage looks like 3.3 volts to me, Not 3 volts. I could be wrong.

3. IW1AU

IW1AU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Donald!
    In this period, I have no time to open it and to check directly, but most probably, if ICOM respected the nominal charge conditions of Seiko "Recommended Charging voltage from 3.0V to 3.1V", it would be 1uA max.
    You are absolutely right saying that battery acid on the board should be avoided (a battery holder could help)! I will apply to a button battery 10 uA for a day in lab. and I will inform the community....

In the between, I discovered that we work in the same domain "space" (Thales for me).

4. PY1WZ

PY1WZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an IC-7100 and I had the same problem. I replaced the battery with an original, and in less than a year, it presented the same problem. In discussions about the IC-7300 there are several reports of this same problem, since the battery used is the same as that used in the IC-7100.

5. KA9JLM

How often did you use the radio ?

6. PY1WZ

PY1WZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use it constantly. He does not stand still. I left it on for about 3 days at the source. I noticed that the battery only holds the clock memory for about 1 day.

7. KA9JLM

The problem that I see with the design, There is nothing to keep the battery from being deeply discharged.

That is a problem for a battery of that type.

It is what it is.