IC-7100 Clock Failure

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KM4KLB, Jan 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KM4KLB

KM4KLB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings:

I have a similar issue as the reported IC-7300 Clock Battery Failure.

I have have had my IC-7100 for over three years. I mainly use my radio on the weekends and do not have it powered up continuously. I only power it when I use it. I recently took on a large project that limited my time on air and I have gone a few months without being able to use my IC-7100.

Now, if I leave the IC-7100 powered off at the main power supply for more than a day, the date clears and the clock resets back to 00:00. As long as I leave the main power on, the clock remains corect. I do not notice a difference in any of the settings other than the clock.

I contacted ICOM about the issue and even asked specifically if the problem could be caused by a dead clock battery. I was informed that the IC-7100 does not have an internal battery and that I would need to have the system serviced to repair the problem.

Are there any ideas on a solution or a confirmation that the IC-7100 does/does not have a clock battery? It's hard to believe that a clock could keep time without some sort of power.

Tony

2. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like they maybe use what's called a "supercap" for the power source ... and it's gone bad, or something is sapping current from it.

3. G3ZBP

G3ZBP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi
    NOTE: The backup battery for the internal clock
    The IC-7100 has a rechargeable Lithium battery to backup the internal clock.
    If you connect the transceiver to a power source, the battery is charged and it keeps the correct clock setting. How-
    ever, if you do not connect the transceiver to a power source for a long period of time, the battery will discharge. In
    that case, the transceiver resets the internal clock.
    If you do not use the transceiver for a long period, we recommend that you connect the transceiver to a power
    source at least every three months. The charging period is two days, regardless of the whether the transceiver’s
    power is ON or OFF.

From Icom IC-7100 workshop manual.

Martin

K4AGO likes this.
  4. KM4KLB

Thanks Martin. I have left the system powered for up to one day in case there was a rechargeable battery with limited success (the time only stays for a few days). I will try leaving it powered for at least two days to see if it will fully charge.

Tony

5. KM4KLB

Attempt #1 failed. I kept the unit powered for 4 days and the clock battery did not last a week. I am giving it another try to see if the charge will hold. If it doesn't, can I change the battery?

Tony

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The Icom IC-7100 is a 21st century radio, hence the majority of its construction uses Surface Mount (SMT) components. While the Part is cheap (in price), it requires skills and tools like that of a jeweler (handling small parts and light touch) in removal and soldering of replacement.
    —
    The IC-7100 radio has BOTH a Seiko Lithium Battery AND an Elna SuperCapacitor (DX-5R5H334U)
    https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/129/DXe-5945.pdf

ICOM IC-7100 Service Manual
    http://www.pd0hni.nl/pdfdocs/7100/IC-7100_service_manual.pdf
    PARTS LIST, Section 6
    Page 5-14 and Page 6-1
    Reference Number: BT6201, Order number: 3020000390
    OEM supplier/part: Seiko ML414HIV01E

Digi-Key # 728-1052-1-ND : $1.81 each.
    https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/seiko-instruments/ML414H-IV01E/728-1052-1-ND/1889213
    ML414H Datasheet
    https://media.digikey.com/PDF/Data Sheets/Seiko Instruments PDFs/ML414H_E.pdf

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  7. KM4KLB

Thanks for providing the information. It has allowed me to review the situation and determine that the replacing the battery myself may require tools that I do not have and it would not be profitable for me to get just for this use. I think it is time to take the unit to the shop.

The second attempt at charging the battery for 5 days has failed.

Thanks for all of the information and advice! At least I can make an informed decision now.

Tony

8. IW1AU

IW1AU Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not to repalce with a typical button battery for clocks? With 100k in series should be not damaged?

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you do that you should use a diode, Not a resistor.

Then you have 1 diode voltage drop to deal with.

No reason not to use the correct rechargeable battery.

10. IW1AU

IW1AU Ham Member QRZ Page

In principle I agree, but because the recharge current pass throught 100k I don't expect issues even a diode is not inserted...
    I did a screenshot of the original IC-7100 diagram...

Attached Files: