IC-705, Elecraft killer?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom is selling the IC705, "Don't you think Icom will stand behind what they sell?

Icom also sells the IC7610 and well as the IC7300, both are SDR's. Icom supplies firmware updates when needed.
    The IC705 is also an SDR. "Don't you think Icom will also offer firmware updates for the 705?"

Barry, KU3X/QRP

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just my read of it:

KZ was referring to the Lab599 radios regarding service after the sale - as it's a safe bet Icom will be around for a while. Lab599? Maybe...

72/73, Jeff

AJ6KZ likes this.
  3. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure why they cant make something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Seems to do quite well with the built in battery, up to 10 watts out, all mode, touch screen, small, light, the correct buttons and some very good software.
    It does NOT have a built in tuner though.
    Audio out of the radio (RX) is fantastic, CW works great, $400.00.
    You would think Icom or one of the other large companies would be able to top it...

4. WN1MB

Cursed TV screen "radios" ...

F8WBD, K8AI, WW2PT and 1 other person like this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Better get used to ‘em. I fear they’re here to stay.

7. WN1MB

I'll watch from afar. Won't buy one, thank you very much.

F8WBD, K8AI and AJ6KZ like this.
  8. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

The TV big screen on a little QRP radio is a tad too big for me. If they squeeze it into the package the size of a KX3, I'm a happy camper.
    Either way, they came out with the KX3 and then the KX2, but they still produce the KX3. Point being.....if they come out with a KX4 w/display, I would guess they will still produce the KX2.
    You still have so many other choices that do not have a spectral display and I am sure, to keep the cost down, there will always be a lot of QRP radios the do not have a big display. There's always the FT818. Yaesu will probably come out with an FT819 that has 7 watts instead of 6 watts, and still look like the FT 817. :p Hi Hi

Barry

WW2PT likes this.
  9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Two things about ICOM that make it hard for me to buy another radio from them:

1. Here in Korea, the local dealership won't service non-Korean ICOM radios, or offer warranties if they weren't purchased in Korea. This protectionism is for the local sellers, who expect exclusivity.

2. Another bad thing is ICOM sellers are charging at least $500 more per radio in Korea, for something I can hop over the pond to Japan and get for $500 less.

On another note, the new Icom would need better filtering than the 7300 to interest me, at $1,000.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  10. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think item 1 is pretty common. Different models meet different government requirements. There may be more to it, maybe someone else knows.

Item 2 could be due to trade regulations, import taxes/duty. Again there may be more to it than that.

Neither of these are Icoms 'fault', would you rather they not offer any products in your market?

KU3X likes this.