IC-705, Elecraft killer?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is one sweet rig. Specs say IP54. Still better than amateur gear. If only some of that protection could filter down into the portable ham market.

2. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's very neat looking rig. As far as portability goes, however, it's not going to beat Elecraft in the weight department if you are truly going lightweight into the back country for SOTA. The spec I found for the IC-705 was just over 1 kilogram. Compare that to the KX2, which is 13 ounces. Also, that display is going to be expensive, current-wise. Plus no built-in tuner.

These are not knocks on the IC-705 really, just comparisons based on what my desires for a SOTA rig are. For emergency operations and situations where the weight factor is not so critical this looks like a really neat radio!

KC9UR and KU3X like this.
  3. KM4DYX

I was hoping to gin up some comments from the guys who were into SOTA. Looks like they really were not trying to take Elecraft head-on. I REALLY dig their battery solution, though.

4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

At this time I find the battery questionable? The IC7300 draws about 800 ma on receive. Since the IC705 kind of uses the same display, it brings to the table, "is the current draw the same as the IC7300 in receive mode?" If it is, that equates to about 2 hours and 15 minutes of receive time and that's receive time only. Now enter transmitting !
    The one feature the KX3 has an issue with is the choice of internal batteries. All they are good for is keeping the clock from loosing time. Make a few quick Q's and they go dead very fast. I actually modified mine so it now uses a LiPo battery pack.

It all remains to be seen once the radio comes to the states, but I find the battery choice very questionable. The only upside is, "It's super easy to swap out battery pack.

5. KM4DYX

That's what I was getting at. That's the way ahead for portable rigs.

KU3X likes this.
  6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-705 will probably be successful, assuming it sells for well under $1,000. But an “Elecraft killer?” Heheheh.... no.

KU3X and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

If it would sell for $ 1,000 or less, it will storm the market. Even with no internal ATU, a deal breaker for me, I'd buy one. My guess, and strictly a guess, I bet it goes for closer to $ 2,000. Don't forget, it's not only a so called all band radio that covers 1.8 mhz to 440 mhz, it also has D Star as well.

Like the IC 703, I think an ATU is much more important than an on board battery. I only use resonant antennas, but from time to time, I need an ATU.
    Barry, KU3X

8. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

True. And we’re all just guessing at this point.

KU3X likes this.
  9. KM4DYX

Someone is thinking about water resistance. Now if we can get them to include an ATU a-la KX-2 and a quick attach battery a-la ICOM......
    https://lab599.com/

[​IMG]

WW2PT and AJ6KZ like this.
  10. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, that looks pretty cool! But it’s still vaporware at the moment. I’m looking forward to some real life reviews.