IC-7000 Unreliable?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC6F, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. G7DIE

G7DIE Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones, RX audio problem here with my IC7000, loss of audio after about one minute and it returns intermittently after about 15 minutes, a job for Icom UK I think :(

2. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If the IC-7000 is unreliable it could have fooled me, I went on a road trip and worked all over the place on 10 meters I worked people in teas Michigan,MN, Wiscon(SP) Winnipeg Manatoba,and Florida, on 40 meters, on my home I worked my friend in Everett Rosburg and a few other places. I used a screw driver with a 100 watts the only thing unreliable is my spelling

3. KB2NHW

KB2NHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive seen friends have heating issues with the 7000.
    If i owned one, i think id just get a mobile amp and set the radio at 50% power so it didnt heat up as much, and then it would probably be fine.

I think the 706mk2g is more reliable just watching friends who owned these radios, as ive never owned either one.

You dont gain much signal from doubling your power, as most people know, so just lower it to 75% or 50% power, and it should be fine.

4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Paul, a lot of folks think (believe?) like you do, that if you cut the power back to 50%, the input current drops to 50%. Unfortunately, that's not the case. The nominal peak input current of an IC-7000 is right at 22 amps with the fan on slow. At 50% power, it still draws nearly 14 amps peak. This is true of every solid state radio out there.

5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no experience with this radio personally. What I do know is that a contest buddy of mine has had two go up in smoke in receive. I was originally saving for this radio as I had the 706 previously and liked it (mostly for the big display). I do want 2m/70cm so the 480HX while it seems like an awesome radio will not 100% fit my desire to also have all SSB on 2m and the ability to check into 70cm nets locally. I am going to go with the FT-857D. Icom does make some great radios, I love my IC-718 and I loved the 706 until I sold it. I might risk the 7000 if it was a bit less expensive.

6. KB2NHW

KB2NHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve/KJ5T

I want to love my Icom IC 718 , but sometimes its totally unusable due to noise, and i have to switch to my nearly 20 year old Yaesu FT 757gx2.

The noise blanker in the 718 is useless when it comes to power line static.
    I get S-9 if BUZZZZZZZZZ and nothing on the 718 can get rid of it.

When i switch to my old 757gx2, i switch the NB on, and the static is gone.
    A $30 CB has a better NB than the highly praised Icom.
    Icom just cant build a NB. I wish Icom or someone would come up with a modification to it.

Thats really my only complaint about the radio.
    Its unusable above 40 meters 35% of the time i want to use the radio.

Alan , KØBG -

Thats crazy! Sometimes i turn my radio down so i dont beat on it, and youre saying no matter what i do, im still beating on it? I would have to figure the finals would see less drive if i turn it down. I still feel better lowering it.

7. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom can make a NB. The one in the IC-7000 works better than the one in the IC-746Pro. The one in the 746Pro works better than the one on the 718.

You get what you pay for.

Then there's the issue of actually resolving the source of the power line buzz so that you don't have to rely on the NB as a band-aid.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  8. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

at work we use IC-7000 to calibrate crystal OSC , by zero beating during manufacturing process as test equipment. but, one time I took it home, because I wanted to use it as HAM radio over week end. well, I notice radio are getting HOT, and after a while driver stage FET burned out. I ended up fixing it , luckly Digikey had driver stage FET. and I made FAN to run all the time slowly during RX, that keep IC-7000 cool during RX. and as Sheerwood engineering guy suggested, I live in area with a lot of Man Made Noise, and I had same problem with IC-7000 as Sherwood Engr experienced , which apparently, AGC is reacting to Spike Noise . because in my OMNI-V , it does sound much better, specially in 3.5 MHz band, the signal on 3.5 Mhz I can hear weak, but clearly on OMNI-V, but not so in IC-7000 . however, DSP seems to work well, it has all of the newer radio future like voice announcement, the radio probably work well as mobile or if there is not much Spike type noise.

9. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K6DEA

K6DEA Ham Member QRZ Page

i have had my IC-7000 in my mobile and now on my base for over a year in a half without any problems at all. i have even forgot to plug in an antenna a few times on both HF and VHF rig still is a power house without any power loss problems with anything. not a scratch on my unit either. who ever is complaining about the radio has issue being an operator. as this quote goes: "its not the machine, its the operator". 73s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.