IC-7000 Unreliable?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC6F, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

I fully agree with K0BG, & I will guarantee a certain % of all rigs will incur issues, either "pilot error" or a failed component. NO ONE makes a "perfect" product on the planet. Every manufacturer allows for x# per thousand/million failure. It happens or they wouldn't require a warranty would they?

2. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can put a $10,000 HF rig in the wrong hands and they will say it is junk because they do not take time to learn how the rig operates.:rolleyes:

The 7000 is what it is. For what it was designed and built for it works just fine.

I never had any trouble with mine when I operated it and it is still in the shack packed away as a back up rig to my FT-950.

There was two reasons I bought the FT-950. One, I had the money to play with, two I wanted a bigger rig on my desk.

Otherwise the Icom 7000 would still be in use.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. N8DHC

N8DHC Ham Member QRZ Page

If most hams drove their cars like they drive their rigs, they'd need a streetsweeper to follow them and sweep up the parts as they blew out of the engine...These rigs are rated ICAS which is 50% duty cycle... If the rig were used as designed, it would surprise the user with fantastic service. Instead of "modding" a radio to do things never intended,buy a radio with the features and capabilities guaranteed for 100% of your demands.

4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

James, Amen brother!

Very few folks know how popular any given radio model is. Finding the actual sales numbers is a bit difficult, but obtainable. It turns out the most popular amateur transceiver ever sold is the IcomIC-706 in its various guises. At 70,000+ units, the closest rival (the FT-857) is just about half that number. At its current sales pace, the IC-7000 is slightly ahead of the IC-706 in its product life span. If it was as bad as some folks portend it to be, it would longer be on the market!

5. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Nevertheless, one must question why Icom designed and manufactured a tranceiver which gets exceptionally hot because evryone knows heat shortens the life of components. One would have thought that the trouble they had with users of the 746 that a few pennies would have dropped regarding the poor quality control or design.

6. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What poor quality, and design? If you look deep enough into one of the most popular HF base station transceivers (the 1000 series of Yaesus), you just might be surprised at just how bad they really are! They cost several times what the 7000 costs. What about them????

The IC-7000, the FT-857, the TS-480 (either model), and even the old TS-50, get hot! What the hey do you expect? I have had my 7000 so hot, you couldn't touch the heat sink without blistering you finger! It is still working! The reason is, I give it adequate ventilation, just as Icom suggests. The other listed models tell you the same thing. So why do you think the Icom is a worse design?

Apparently, you weren't around when Heathkit introduced their SB104. Before I got the one I bought built, there were at least 20 mods. Darn thing never works right! I've been around since the NCX1000 debacle too. What about them?

No one on the planet makes a trouble-free transceiver. No one! Every single one has some sort of design fault, and it isn't necessarily a heat issue. For example, all but a couple of modern solid state transceivers, all have an initial key down power spike, which easily exceeds their rated power out. What about that?

It just peeves me when someone picks on some specific attribute, that they deem a design fault, and don't consider all of the other brands with the same problem. Enough already!

7. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I operated an Icom 7000 daily for 6 months. When operating SSB that radio did not get HOT as some say it does. Now I will admit it got hot when I operated the digital mode Olivia. But not to the point where the temperature indicator rose into the red. That was due to long key down times. Simple solution was to sit a small 12 VDC CPU fan behind the radio and I never had any heat issues after that.

I have to wonder what some operators set on top of radios. Look at shack photos and you will see tuners, etc sitting on top of rigs. That sure doesn't help with heat issues.

8. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had the IC-7000 ever since it came out I have had installed in 2 different cars and never had a problem or issue with it.

I have worked all over, including DX last year I drove to Dayton and worked all over with no problems. I have the 7000 installed under my seat I have used auxiliary speakers jacks and never had a problem with the jacks breaking SO I don't know why you people are having any problems I sure have not had any

9. NO2A

NO2A Ham Member QRZ Page

The other day I was using my FT-857D on 2m fm simplex. At the 50 watt level the rig gets warm,but never hot. OTOH,my IC-208H gets very hot at the same power level. The fans on both rigs do a great job of cooling them off. It`s just a matter of letting them cool down properly. Using the `857 on cw at 100 watts it barely gets warm,with a low swr the fan only runs a short time. That`s great cooling for such a small radio. :cool:

10. WA1GZY

WA1GZY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC7000 has been in my mobile since 2004 and performed flawlessly for over 150000 miles in both sub zero upstate NY winters and 100 degree Florida humidity! The only service has been the replacement of the surface mounted video and audio output jacks. The IC 7000 is simply the best mobile transceiver on the market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.