IC-7000 Unreliable?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC6F, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. NO6O

NO6O Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding the lack of DTMF, I found some information about how to add a keypad on the back of the microphone. It works quite well. It automatically keys the microphone, and there is brief pause after each keypress, to enter a string of numbers. Here is a picture I took, while the black silicone sealant was drying.

DTMF-HM-151-A.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. ZL1UZM

ZL1UZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not going to write a dissertation about this pathetic radio.
    If you want detailed info about it, just ring me on the phone.
    You should be able to work out that one!
    73 de wolf

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To me, this whole thread is incredulous. Every single transceiver out there has some sort of problem it shouldn't have (ken down overshoot for example). This includes the top of the line Icoms, Yeasus, and Kenwoods. It is apparent that some folks have had a bad experience with the 7000, which if the truth were known, was self inflicted. Add in a little buyer's remorse, thus you see the result.

The Icom 706, in its various guises, has become the most popular transceiver ever! Some 70,000+ have been sold since its introduction. The Yaesu FT857 is a distant second. If the sales continue at their present rate, the 7000 could match the 706's numbers. If the 7000 was as bad as it appears here, it would have long since been discontinued.

4. KC6F

KC6F Ham Member QRZ Page

5. G7DIE

G7DIE Ham Member QRZ Page

As Alan says above, pretty much all manufacturers products have their faults, and I suppose putting so much into such a small package will have it's limitations. I used a 706MkII for a long time mobile and only this year bought myself a IC7000. The menus aren't an issue as pretty much everything I need the radio to do is there at the touch of a button, it took a little while to get the audio right, but hyper critical friends are difficult to please :D

6. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not had any problems with my Icom 7000. Yes it gets warm. But only when operating digital modes. I solved that with a small fan behind it when I operated digital, mainly Olivia.

On SSB, no heating problems what so ever.

Finals and driver are just fine.

Only problem I had was with the in line fuses in the power cord. The power output dropped down. Someone told me to remove the fuses, clean them and put them back in. Problem solved. However the 7000 is not the only radio that develops that problem.

So sometimes wonder if some people do not abuse their Icom 7000. Constantly operating digital modes will cause the radio to heat up. Not hard to figure that out when you consider the size of the radio. Pretty sure Icom did not design the radio to be used constantly on digital modes.

7. KC5DOV

KC5DOV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had one for over about one year and have had no trouble at all. The display is adjustable in brightness and contrast, but I had no problem seeing it in teh day time/sunlight. Actually, I've turned both down significantly!

Jim - KC5DOV

8. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to have the supply voltage a little over 13.8 to get the full 100 watts out.

As far as the S-Meter is concerned, here are some values taken with the 7000 hooked to a General Dynamics System Analyzer with a factory fresh re-calibration on 50.125 mhz:

Preamp on:

S 1/2= -104 DBM or 1.41 microvolts
    S 1=-103 or 1.58
    S3=-98 or 2.81
    S5=-92 or 5.61
    S7=-86 or 11.2
    S9=-81 or 19.2
    10+=-72 or 56.16
    20+=-64 or 141
    30+=-56 or 354

Without preamp values are about 11 DB lower.

Signal generator bottoms out at -130 dbm and you can barely hear the note. It would be a copy-able cw signal if you had good ears.

9. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

TS480 doesn't....

10. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh yes it does, albeit you haven't found them.

Like almost all solid state transceivers on the market, there is a leading edge power spike on PTT. The 480SAT's is about 150 to 170 watts, depending on the band. The one in the 480Hx is about twice that.

And, it shares a lot of the same design problems the 7000 does. For example, the RF gain control isn't! It is an IF gain control. The AGC doesn't pump nearly as bad as the 7000, but it is still there nonetheless.

I could go on, but I made this point before; Every single transceiver out there has some sort of problem it shouldn't have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.