ad: Schulman-1

IARU Region 2 agrees to 15m satellite allocation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

IARU Region 2 agrees to 15m satellite allocation
    The 20th General Assembly of IARU Region 2 in Lima, Peru ended on Wednesday, October 3, 2019

Participating in the Assembly were a total of twenty member societies, fifteen of them present and the other five participating via proxy, as follows:

Present:
    Canada, United States, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Colombia,
    Trinidad & Tobago, Curacao, Barbados, Brazil, Chile, Argentina,
    Honduras, Uruguay, Peru

By proxy:
    Dominican Republic, proxy to El Salvador
    Costa Rica, proxy to Honduras
    Venezuela, proxy to Peru
    Panama, proxy to Guatemala
    Ecuador, proxy to Canada

During the third plenary, the presidents and secretaries of the different working committees presented their proposals, which were analyzed and discussed and voted by the delegates.

In administrative matters, the main issues addressed were the proposed modifications to the IARU Region 2 Constitution and Bylaws, which were all approved by the participating member societies to comply with current banking requirements.

Regarding band planning, the recommendation that 21,125 to 21,450 kHz in the 15-meter HF band be used for satellite communications on a non-exclusive basis was accepted, which will be aligned with the allocations in the other regions and will be used for uplinks. The satellite coordination group proposed:
    a) the creation of a Satellite Communications Workshop;
    b) that a representative of the Satellite Coordination Panel be present in this Workshop; c) that the Panel maintains communication with all IARU R2 member societies.

The Financial Committee analyzed the financial documentation and issued a favorable verdict regarding the approval of the financial statements and the approval of the budget for the next three years of operation.

Proposed by Radio Club Argentino, and voted by the General Assembly, Buenos Aires will be the venue of the 21st General Assembly in 2022.

At the end of the meeting, the General Assembly carried out the election of Executive Committee members, and the following persons were elected for the next three years:

Officers:
    President Ramón Santoyo, XE1KK
    Vice-president José Arturo Molina, YS1MS
    Secretary George Gorsline, VE3YV
    Treasurer John “Jay” Bellows, KØQB

Directors:
    Area A Director George Gorsline, VE3YV
    Area B Director John “Jay” Bellows, KØQB
    Area C Director Ramón Santoyo, XE1KK
    Area E Director Tommy Chen, 9Y4T
    Area F Director Gustavo de Faria Franco, PT2ADM
    Area G Director Carlos Beviglia, LU1BCE

This Executive Committee will start its functions on November 15 of this year.

[​IMG]
    In the photo the new Executive Committee: Left to right: Carlos Beviglia, LU1BCE; Jose Arturo Molina, YS1MS; Ramon Santoyo, XE1KK; Jay Bellows, KØQB; Tommy Chen, 9Y4T; George Gorsline, VE3YV; and Gustavo de Faria Franco, PT2ADM.

The General Assembly thanked Radio Club Peruano for hosting the Assembly and for their excellent organization and the help provided.

In a subsequent Executive Committee meeting, outgoing President Reinaldo Leandro, YV5AM, thanked Noel Donawa for his more than 20 years of volunteer service and Ernesto Syriani for his contribution as Area G Director, both will not continue as Executive Committee members. Then, he welcomed new members, explained them about the current working methodologies and encouraged member societies to participate more actively in the organization. He also thanked the coordinators and volunteers that cooperated so that the 20th General Assembly of IARU-R2 was successful.

More information is available in:
    http://www.lima-2019.net/
    http://www.iaru-r2.org/

Joaquin Solana, XE1R
    Editor de Noticias - News Editor - IARU R2

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/october/iaru-region-2-agrees-to-15m-satellite-allocation.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KD5SYH, OA4DSR, KG4BFR and 3 others like this.
  2. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great were going "BACK IN TIME" remember the RS- Satellites ! 73' Phil..

WK4LR and WQ4G like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no!

That is too wide a slice of 15m....

K9CTB, KR3DX, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not an allocation, it's a band plan. 21.0 to 21.45 MHz is already allocated to Amateur Satellite in all 3 regions.

N3AWS, WK0DX, KG4BFR and 1 other person like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again: too wide a slice in the 'band plan'.

K9CTB, NX6ED, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  6. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if you hear me QRMing the 15 meter satellites I apologize in advance. When the band is open 15 meters is one of my favorite bands for working DX. Not used to having to check a list of 15 meter satellite uplink frequencies before calling CQ.

I could see allocating some 15 meter frequencies for satellite stuff... But, the entire voice portion of the band? Seems a little over kill to me.

Don't we already have enough satellites and band space allocated for them?

Dan WQ4G

NX6ED, NC7U, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  7. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Idea... But as a R3 person again I must agree with W1YW.

15 m has propagation issues to my parts in the low solar cycle (and with the lack of EME regulation); yet when these reservations are set and Amateur "band police" start kicking in - what happens when conditions improve and one can work QRP and voice effectively 24/7 again on 15m ???

Sorry... but I do sympathise with those that feel that there are already enough reservations for satellites on VHF and UHF (and beyond).

K9CTB, NX6ED, WQ4G and 1 other person like this.
  8. F1RAF

F1RAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. G4HBI

G4HBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely 28 MHz with plenty of room is the ideal band for satellite down link as already proved with the excellent AO6 and AO7 and as already mentioned RS series. Also, is there someone planing a 21 MHz down link satellite ?.

Frank G4HBI

AK5B and KR3DX like this.
  10. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

Great. NOT. I FEEL MOST HAMS JUST WANT TO KEEP 15 METERS SIMPLE. WHY EVEN USE IT FOR SATELLITE USE THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER BANDS. + NOT ALL OF THE BAND SHOULD BE OPEN TO SAT. 73S. PS ISN'T IT MHZ NOT KHZ. JUST SAYING

NX6ED and KR3DX like this.
  11. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not aware of anyone planning a 21 MHz downlink as 28 MHz would be far better, as you point out, but CAMSAT's CAS-5A plans an uplink at 21.385-21.415 MHz (with a 28 MHz downlink) and CAS-7A plans uplinks at 21.245-21.275 MHz (for the 28 MHz downlink) and 21.3125-21.3275 MHz (for the 435 MHz downlink). The University of California, Santa Cruz's SlugSat project also plans a 15-to-10 meter linear transponder.

KD5SYH and W6RZ like this.
  12. KC2G

KC2G Ham Member QRZ Page

I imagine that most things seem terribly complex to a person who hasn't even figured out how lowercase letters and punctuation work yet.

N3AWS likes this.
  13. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

RS-12/13 modes K,T,KT.. When working 29 MHz up and 21 MHz dn, I would hear non-satellite stations calling me back via terrestrial prop! "Radio Sputnik"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    KA2FIR likes this.
  14. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wasn't that a movie?

15. PY5BYE

PY5BYE Ham Member QRZ Page

The 15 meter range is not technically feasible for satellite operation. THERE ARE OTHER PRIORITIES TO DISCUSS THE BENEFIT OF RADIO AMATEURS ALL OVER THE WORLD!