ad: ProAudio-1

I want to QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KE0JIT, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Save the money and buy a compact 100w rig to start with. An FT 857 is the comparable size of the 817 but you won't be outgowing it.
    When you tire of running it QRP you can crank it out without spending money on an add-on amp for 100w.
    Never made much sense to me to begin pwr hamstrung when for about the same money a big rig with added features is within reach.
    Again, used rigs are plentiful from reliable dealers who take trades.

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

There are different goals in amateur radio.

I see interest online in communications only, not the hobby.

He may want "Trail Friendly Radio" communications "short hop" CW communications only, the purpose communications.

I have a tiny USB keyboard for digital mode NBEMS.

He may find a small compatible keyboard for CW, and be a "happy camper".

3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is always assumed QRP has to be CW. I am here to tell you that isn't the case. Though I love CW I have worked nothing but SSB on my FT-817nd since Dec of 2017. During that time I have gotten some big DX and almost worked all the states on 20. This is on a end fed wire and 5watts, from my house deep at the bottom of a valley. If you might be needing some help in learning CW you might look up The Long Island CW Club. They run online classes that sound helpful and encouraging.

K6EIR and KC9YGN like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Unless you have a huge S/N ratio and the other station is sending perfect Morse, using software to decode CW may end up very frustrating, not only for you but for the guy on the other end who actually knows Morse and how to copy it "in his head" trying to figure out why you're not "copying him" correctly.

Just my 2 cents as a 44 year CW guy - I've tried every "CW Program" that's come along over the years, compared to what my own years "hear and copy" and I can say from very close personal experience, unless the "other guy" is S9+, with no QRM, no QRN, and sending perfectly, the chances of having a full conversational QSO are going to be very limited

As has been posted by others, nothing wrong with trying QRP Sideband or Digital Modes and save the CW efforts for when you can actually copy Morse. It's not the most "computer friendly" mode at all. It's a "human required" mode in about 90% of cases.

Dave
    W7UUU

KC8VWM, KF9VV, W5BIB and 2 others like this.
  5. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes to QRP SSB. And digital modes.

An FT817/818 is a great do-anything box.

It's a bit heavy on batteries and current use for really lightweight hiking requirements but apart from that it's a great general purpose rig for all aspects of QRP.

Some examples of QRP SSB success

These tips may also be handy.

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/qrp/success.htm

KC8VWM and KC7JNJ like this.
  6. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Learning CW well is a very rewarding endeavor. It will enable you to get maximum enjoyment. As others have stated, CW is often sent with artistic license. Computers cannot handle that stuff.

I personally have come to enjoy a nightly rag chew through either answering or calling CQ. The best QSOs get into something like how the weather has impacted each of areas or the trials and tribulations of antennas or what ever pops up. Many of those QSOs have been with old timers who are running a bug. I could never have had all the joy of learning from them if I was dependent on a computer.

I really like Zen and the Art of Radiotelegraphy as a CW learning approach.

Jim

W5BIB and KG7WGX like this.
  7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hand sent Morse using a Straight Key, Bug, or Sideswiper (Cootie) enables 'personality' using CW. :D

KC7JNJ and KC8VWM like this.
  8. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a time, long ago, when the military used Morse a lot. They even had a school.. an 8 month program for Morse. I went through the school at age 20, and came out operating 35 WPM. Not difficult at that age. Too bad the military has dropped Morse.

Learning on your own takes a lot of strict dicipline.

9. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I get why they dropped Morse. The bigger issue is that they nearly completely dropped HF. There seems to have been some recognition of late that over reliance on SATCOM might not be such a great idea. Anybody know how much HF has made a come back? I know that the navy dropped some big money on Harris wide-band HF radios a year or so ago.

10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Back when space was dominated by the US and the USSR, no one was concerned that the comm sats were in danger. Now everyone and his brother have or are working on missile technology which can readily shoot them down. The world is changing.