I.R.L.P. or The Weather Channel?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7DJK, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE6DDT

VE6DDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,
    A) If a certain magazine offends you, don't buy it
    B) If a certain T.V. show offends you, switch stations
    C) If you don't like I.R.L.P., don't pay attention to it, others will
    D) I love CW, not everyone does, but I'll not salute or poop on those who do/don't
    E) If you want new prospective hams to not bother persuing their licenses, I suggest you keep these types of posts going on, in order to disuade them from persuing their tickets.
    F) 2m and I.R.L.P. are very affordable ways for new hams to "get on the air" and extend their range of contacts with their 2m rigs.
    G) 11 pages of replies is a bit much, isn't it ?
    Thankyou.

2. KD7PFC

KD7PFC Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] IRLP QRZ
    Hello IRLP user's

Ok I VERY VERY MAD it those who have dine trashiing the IRLP!!!

For those of use who are hilf deaf and can hear the code go, theis is a great mode to work dxing on the IRLP...

The best part of the IRLP is working stations in Canada,Austalia,Swenden,Japan,
    South Africa, and one I can weight to work is the one node in Antarctica (888). So when all have is a h-t that is cool OK!!!!!

So what if we talk about the weather or antenna and radio. As long as we have fun!

Thomas KD7PFC

E-MAIL kd7pfc@arrl.net

3. WA4HF

WA4HF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am the trustee for K4HDS, a school station located in Maitland, Florida. This year I am unable to use the HF transceiver and outside vertical antenna because another grade class is in that room (and their schedule does not permit them to participate in ham radio this year). I found that the fourth graders are receptive to ham radio. I set up a small mobile antenna with the 2m/70cm transceiver in the fourth grade classroom and we utilize IRLP through the KD4Z Orlando repeater.

Last year, at times when the students called a "CQ" and did not get a response due to poor propagation I would go to the IRLP dedicated repeater. We would then make a few contacts. On both HF and through the UHF IRLP link I have fortunately found amateur radio operators very eager to speak to the children.

We had a terrific experience in May when one of the UK hams we spoke to on IRLP  (from his automobile in England) came to the school when he was vacationing in the Orlando area! That was our only "eyeball" QSO we have had in the five years we have been on the air.
    Although of course we enjoy the "regular" ham radio, IRLP does serve a very good purpose!
    Sher
    WA4HF

4. N7FAN

N7FAN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc2wi @ Aug. 26 2002,14:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The image of ham radio being expensive is totally incorrect.

Ham radio is not expensive relative to other things - like computers. Even a decent inxpensive new computer is around $1000. Plus then you have to spend $10-20 per month on your Internet connection or maybe $40-50 for a high-speed line. A used computer still is several hundred dollars. Most people spend hundreds of dollars on a TV set and $500/year on cable.

New 2m HTs are readily available for less than $150. Mobiles are not that much more. Basic antennas are cheap too. Decent used VHF HTs for $75, mobiles for $100. HF - good used equipment for a few hundred dollars and even a new Icom 718 - a very nice rig - is only around $600. Antennas - $10 worth of wire and $25 of coax and you can build a dipole. Add another $15 for the ladder line and you have a G5RV.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The image of ham radio being expensive is totally SUBJECTIVE.

It is a hobby and as such is subject to the monetary constraints of what's left over after the bills are paid and the kids fed and clothed.

If you don't have the disposable income available, then Ham Radio is expensive...TO YOU.  It is a lot easier to justify the purchase of a TV and cable payments...that is something that the whole family reaps the benefits of.  Try telling my 3 year old that he can't watch Barney because daddy bought a new radio and there's no money to pay for that bill.  If flys like a lead balloon.

I have never used IRLB, but listen quite a bit to the node in my area.  It interests me, but it has it's place in the grand scheme of things...just like everything else.

I operate with a dual band HT.  I've worked around the world on HF.  I will again someday when we move to a house where I can put up antennas.  I listen to the repeaters around the valley and am not enthused by what I hear.  It seems that in this area, there are more repeaters than users.

But, on the IRLP frequency, there is almost something interesting going on...even if it is hearing the weather in Auckland.

IRLP is a tool.  Use it or not...the choice is your.  But don't run other people down because they use it.  If they are running around shouting EUREKA because they worked another country...congratulate them.  Then find the time, and a way, to kindly inform them that WAS is not valid through a repeater, and that real DX is something different.  But do not treat them like dirt or you'll find that we'll all be sitting here with all this equipment and no frequencies left to operate on (except maybe some HF areas for the old timers).  And where will all of this new blood be that was supposed to come in and keep the hobby alive?  

They're all off spending their money on the latest technology cell phones and demanding that the government take spectrum away from the elitist stuck-up hams and make their cell phones work wherever they want them to.

And...I'd rather listen to the weather report in Timbuktu than hearing two hams talk about how drunk they got last night and how the one was lucky to make it home without getting stopped. (Actual conversation on the SkyWarn repeater here.)

5. KF6QDP

KF6QDP QRZ Member

I have been active in ham radio since 1970 and I enjoy being on the cutting edge of technology. Although the Internet is not &quot;ham radio&quot;, I see no problems mixing both technologies as part of our hobby.

This debate regarding IRLP has a &quot;déjà vu&quot; feeling. It's the old packet BBS forwarding discussion that has been revamped.

One of the main aspects of amateur radio is that it's a &quot;HOBBY&quot; that needs keep-up with times.

Those purists who complain about this should remember that even core ham radio enhancements have been met with objections and despise. Remember SSB, PSK31. MT63 (heck, all new data modes... it's the &quot;not in my backyard&quot; syndrome).

IMHO, Ham radio's survival lies in its ability to tranform itself, to adapt to, and create new technologies. If we black-list all of this, our numbers will dwindle as the &quot;new blood&quot; will be attracted to more instantaneous gratifications (i.e. Internet, etc.).

Amateur Radio should be a dynamic and adaptable hobby and not a fiefdom of conservatism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.