I.R.L.P. or The Weather Channel?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7DJK, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2FAF

KB2FAF Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

This is for those who don't like IRLP. I don't care. I don't force you to use my system or the system in general. IRLP is just one more fun way to enjoy amateur radio and its to bad you can't see it that way. I like HF, packet, contesting, PSK31, etc and I like IRLP. So since I use and maintain IRLP that must make me a "bad ham"? Check your calander, it's the 21 century and buy yourself a clue. Not to mention the folks using my local node to chat with thier friends in other parts of the world are very happy with the system. Its fun communicating on hf but sometimes its nice to have a chat without fading, static crashes, big antennas etc. Not to mention I had no idea about the Linux operating system for computers. Since IRLP, I have learned much about linux and it has helped me in my profession. Isn't that what amateur radio is all about, learning? Enjoyment? Talking with different cultures?

Duh, some people are so closed minded...

Chris
    KB2FAF

2. WF7I

WF7I Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DocRF @ Aug. 28 2002,01:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WF7I, I agree with much of what you wrote except one thing - you do NOT need a PC for IRLP.  You only need the HT.  A used full-featured HT costs around $50.  You really can't do that with HF.  And I'm one of the ones who says HF can be cheap - because people like you and me are willing to help the newbies fix a hamfest "bargain" for free.  I do it all the time.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The original poster was using their PC for an IRLP node. Having never used IRLP, I can't speak beyond that.

Yes, you CAN get on HF with $50 or less. In fact you can buy a brand new kit for $50 which will put you on any of the HF bands, if you're willing to go CW. With a bit of persistance, you can surely get a ham to donate you a more full-featured HF rig, especially as a starting teen ham.

I think what we're really talking about here is ease of use and not money. It's much easier to pick up a cheap HT and get on IRLP than it is to build up a cheap HF station. And there's nothing wrong with that. Complexity often scares away (or bores to death) many new hams. It sounds like IRLP is an easy way to get folks charged up about the hobby so that they will eventually want to put together their own station, and I think that's a good thing.

73, WF7I

3. AH6LE

AH6LE Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k6ntl @ Aug. 28 2002,08:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
    That is untrue. I did it.

Anyone, including hackers, can download this, plug a mic into their soundcard, fake a call, and go on the air.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I am sorry, but you are flat out wrong. During your "test", you may have THOUGHT you were using IRLP, but it is simply not possible. Also and as I said earlier, IRLP software does NOT run under Windows or MAC OS - it is specifically written for Linux. When you "tried" IRLP, were you using a Linux machine? Which version? Which kernel?

Furthermore, IRLP uses encryption. Unless you received a key code, even if you were able to load the software onto a Linux machine and figured out how to properly configure it, without that code you would have never been able to connect to the network. And no, you can't "hack" the code. It's that simple.

The reason I am so adamant about this is that I believe spreading disinformation - either due to an honest misunderstanding or for some deliberate reason - does our hobby a great disservice.

For what its worth, I am an Extra Class, first licensed in 1967 at the ripe old age of 13. I also hold a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, so I believe I am somewhat qualified to speak on the matter.....

4. WA4RYW

WA4RYW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k6ntl @ Aug. 28 2002,08:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KBØWLF @ Aug. 28 2002,06:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">!!there is no pc software you can dl to 'get on' irlp!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sure there is. You don't even need a radio to get on IRLP.
    Computer to computer communication is possible.

Try this:
    http://www.synergenics.com/

It's called echo link.

I've never keyed a radio in a conventional manner to use IRLP.

I could have activated the PTT with my left nostril.

But I did use it. (but not with my left nostril)

73, Kevin[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Echolink is a different system than IRLP. It uses the same core technology, but that's where most simularities end.

5. KC8TCQ

KC8TCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K2WH @ Aug. 27 2002,13:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I noticed a few posting declare that users of these systems (IRLP, Ilink), must have a ham ticket.  I would like to know, how is this accomplished?  Who does the checking?  Who is the deciding authority that OK's someone to use the system?

Unlike bogus repeater users who are easy to spot, hiding behind a keyboard, an unlicensed individual may not be so easy to spot.

K2WH[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    IRLP requires the user to be using a radio, either ht, mobile, or base, as they are getting into a repeater, that is then linked to another repeater via the internet. However the people talking on weach end are using radios and not a keyboard.

I-Link on the other hand is using a computer, and the mic/sound card of the computer.

6. AH6LE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k6ntl @ Aug. 28 2002,11:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">p.s. anyone wanna give me links for my web page? I'd put em up.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sure, I'm not above prostituting myself [​IMG]

http://www.ah6le.net

7. KC8TCQ

KC8TCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used I-Link a bit when I first got my ticket, as I only had a 200 mw HT that was fine if I was in town, but where I lived I chouldn't hit the machine, so I-link gave the chance to talk to other amateurs.

Now I have moved, and have assembled a decent station setup and am now working on upgrading to General. I do think that I-link has it's benefits, for those who live in restricted areas.

I also believe that IRLP can have it's benefits such as if a disaster happens over a widespread area, or in a SKYWARN net, that you could link 1-3 machines together and have one netcontrol, and have a better chance of getting the information to or from the person that needs or has it.

It is like the computer technology, I remember running a BBS on 300 baud modems, staying up all night playing Trade Wars, now we have cable modem, wireless internet ect. Amateur radio is, and will continue to expand with the technology, and thats a good thing, as this makes the younger ones have more reason to become interested.

This being said, I still prefer using just radios to make my contacts.

73 de Keith

8. AH6LE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k6ntl @ Aug. 28 2002,11:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ah6le @ Aug. 28 2002,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
    p.s. you were terrific... hi hi[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

My pleasure  [​IMG]

I replied to your mail....

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi everyone here! I have read the posts now and what I can see out of all this is that it's alot of confusion between the different systems today.. But as we who has some kind of know-about what IRLP is always is saying: You can't use a computer + mic to access this network, neither any hackers can get into it... And all thoes OT out there who can't accept that this is the new thing today and we're going forward in the evolution of hamradio, I feel almost sorry about them, hihi..  [​IMG] I've just ordered a IRLP node with my own money and I'm just 16 yrs old, so I think I'm going to be the youngest owner.. Well, if anybody here in my area complains about having an IRLP node in the area I will ignore the non-sense.. Here, I spend my own saved money on a excellent thing to get new hams into our big club!  [​IMG] And currentley the hamtraffic here in Karlstad, Sweden is totaly almost dead! We are now two 16 years old guys here in town, the third one moved to Germany yesterday... And how else should I wake up the hams here? IRLP is a super duper great thing!!! I think I and all the hams using my node will be very pleased. And I scertenley doesn't hope anyone complains about this! There has been some VERY serious stuff here about this.. One of the owners to node #802 has even been threatned!!! This came as a big chock to me! A ham attacking another ham!!! HALLO?!?! WHERE'S THE HAMSPIRIT GUYS?!?!?  [​IMG] Well.. I hope no more of this stupid stuff will come and IRLP will grow and grow and grow!! [​IMG]

Best 73's de SM4XFJ!!! An node owner soon, yuppie yeee!!!! [​IMG]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ok, I have to put my two cents in.  I too, am a Tech.  I haven't learned CW....yet!  I am military and a volunteer firefighter and a amateur radio club vice president...so you see, I have very little time to study. I am studying thought.  Why are some of the older hams, &quot;True Hams in a sense&quot; so darn hard on IRLP.  It is not a replacement to HF and it won't take over the world.  I does bring a &quot;Bright Eyed Glare&quot; from non hams and tech license holders when you can bring up a DX station via a HT.  This new mode of communication is needed when the HAM community seems to be dying out in some areas like ours in Great Falls, MT and we want to increase licensed amateur radio operators.  What happened with helping other hams and international good will?  What about those personnel who live in apartments, on fixed income or just starting out and can't afford or put up a tower. You just want to say &quot;Hey, I got my general or extra license and you haven't paid your dues&quot;. The IRLP community has been extremely friendly and helpful and I have set up a IRLP node with local HAM support.  You probably put down PSK-31 when if first came out too.  Don't fight the system....help it! Lets stop bickering like some &quot;LIDS&quot; or CB'ers do on the air.  I thought we were better than that.  Sure, you get problems on the IRLP, ILINK or EchoLink.  We have had the same problems with our autopatch and a &quot;LID&quot; swearing and extended ragchews tied up the repeater.  Alot of my traffic on my node is to friends and family hams in other states. With IRLP you can travel across the U.S. and not using HF or a cellphone and update friends and family of your where abouts. 73's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.