I.R.L.P. or The Weather Channel?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7DJK, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7DJK

N7DJK Guest

It seems that when ever I listen to the I.R.L.P. (internet radio linking project) most of the time I am only hearing Amateur's give each other world wide weather reports and that is the extent of their coversation. What ever happend to talking about you Radios & Antennas you are running or setup, teaching a Ham how to talk to a Remote part of the world where there are no computers or phone lines, using your own radio with the system you setup. I do hear conversations with intrestings topics Like conatcts in remote areas with 100 or 5 watts from intresting World Wide areas even Talking through Satilites or Moon Bouncing, even bouncing signals off a comets tail fragments. But I was not on I.R.L.P. it was on H.F. you know the bands that you want to better yourself to upgrade your license to General, or Advanced to better your your self. But this is just my thoughts. If I misspelled anything please dont send a bunch of corrections. I am just trying to better myself & other Amateur's.

73's

2. WF7I

WF7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that internet-based ham radio communities, whether it be this site or the IRLP or whatever else comes along, help to further the amateur radio hobby. For example, if I am working on a technical project, or if I just have some odd question on a subject, I can now browse internet pages or join a discussion. In the past, you would have to rely on your local talent of nearby hams or printed publications. If the explanations were over your head or not quite on target with what you were looking for, sometimes you would lose interest or get discouraged. Now there are many information alternatives out there.

Although the discussion threads themselves may sometimes drift to non-ham topics, I personally don't have a problem with it. As long as people are civil and not hurting one another, I see no harm.

Besides, use of various internet tools is only going to increase! Might as well embrace it.

Just don't spend TOO much time on it -- the HF bands are looking more and more vacant!

73, WF7I

3. VA7KBH

VA7KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the IRLP to talk to hams around the world. In the process of talking to them and fostering relationships around the world, sometimes the weather does come up in our conversation.

However, good post!

VA7KBH

4. kd7nqb

kd7nqb Ham Member QRZ Page

OK I currently am waiting for K9OX one of my personal friends to get his IRLP node running but from what I have heard it seams like it is a cool idea that allows people like me who have trouple with code to talk to people all over the world.

5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd7nqb @ Aug. 25 2002,16<!--emo&[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK I currently am waiting for K9OX one of my personal friends to get his IRLP node running but from what I have heard it seams like it is a cool idea that allows people like me who have trouple with code to talk to people all over the world.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I assume you are a tech licensee.  This is not a great  accomplishment to wait for your personal friend to hook up IRLP so you can skirt the code issue and use landlines to talk to people in far away places.  Try a little harder and you can do it alone without a landline   connection crutch to work some great DX.

If you can't learn the code or have given up on it, work DX on the satellites, 6 meters, 2 meters or any of the uhf and microwave frequencies for an excitedly different type of DX.  You can do it if you put your mind to it.

I'm 52 and have been a ham for 34 years.  Only in the last 2 months did I start working DX on the satellites.  It's as exciting as HF DX.  Try it you'll like it.

A friend,
    K2WH

6. KD5RFC

KD5RFC Ham Member QRZ Page

At least their on the radio.

7. WX5NCO

WX5NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like its time for a defender of IRLP.  I think that this could interest those who are not HAM's into joining the HAM world.  If it were not for internet programs like eQSO, I would have never known anything about the wonderful world of HAM radio.  I am now studying for my tech license.  I hope take the test next month.  When I do, I will re-register with my call sign as my ID

Also, for the ADMIN's of QRZ, thanks for putting the practice tests on here!!

8. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Once again a meaningless post on IRLP has made it on QRZ.  Why?  This topic has been beat to death.  The same stupid arugments are made every three weeks.  Those who learned code and enjoy HF say it's not radio, and those who just got a ticket and a $100 HT claim they are working DX.

It's time to retire this topic.  Have we not seen enough posts on IRLP in the last year?

I am getting tired of some new guy who has yet to get his ticket in the mail telling us, as if we don't know, what IRLP is and how it works.  I also love when he throws in the comment that he worked some exotic, not really exotic, place like Japan.  I almost forgot, he surely mentions that this is all done on the Yaesu VX-150 that HRO just shipped him, quite a DX radio.

9. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

To N3XP:

I have been trying to be a kinder gentler person on QRZ.COM and I want to thank you for what you have said about this IRLP and all the other idiotic internet hookups to repeaters.

You said what I wanted to but I held back I guess cause like you, I too am disgusted by these landline hookups and the constant rehashing of these so called "New DX Modes".  I tried Ilink for a while then erased it from my computer as meaningless junk.

Ilink, IRLP etc. are nothing new.  For the past 30 years or more hams had the same thing.  It was or is called AUTOPATCH.  Just call any number, foreign or stateside and you have the same thing - talking over the telephone landlines.  Lets see, if I talk to my sister in California from New Jersey by using autopatch, can I get a QSL card?  Hey, what if I dial AREA CODE, 555-1212 and talk to the operator in each of the 50 states, can I get WAS Landline?  Beam my up Scotty.

And to the editors of QRZ.COM, you guys used to post nice articles and essays, I wrote a bunch of them but no more.  Now you post "What do you think" questions.  Don't these things belong in the forum section?

K2WH

10. Guest

Guest Guest

:D :p 73 all, once again we're seeing how the no code license has cheapened the service. The majority of new ticket holders have no idea of what A real DX contact is and are thrilled to make A contact through the internet. If they only knew the real thrill and the feeling of accompleshment of passing the code test and making real radio to radio DX contacts like long time hams have, they would know what it's all about. Unfortunatley the current licensing system does not provide enough steps in the learning process to bring them along slowly as to teach proper operating techniques and incentive to upgrade to do it right! Ofcourse this is only this hams opinion but it was the steps of starting with novice, tech, general and advanced that made the operator I am today. I am so glad that code was required when I undertook studing to be A licensed amateur! TNX 73 KO4VP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.