ad: w5yi

I need some good video advice ( external video for a Icom 756pro )

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W6VHK, Oct 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Darrell,

Still waiting for the parts to arrive from China. Delivery says July 5 - August 9th !!

Max

2. KW4EK

KW4EK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When you get it all done, please do follow up with photos and a good write up of what all you had to do as I am sure others will be interested and may even be in your same boat. TIA!

3. VE3TMT

Hi Darrell,

Boards, connectors and ribbon cables arrived yesterday. Put a couple sets together this morning.

image002.jpg

So these will go back to back, and alternating jumpers (1, 3, 5, 7... on one side, 2, 4, 6..... on the other) Then I'll tap the appropriate lines, pins 5 thru 10 for signals R, G, B, HSYNCH, VSYNCH and GND. Once tested thru the convertor board, the entire assembly will be heat shrink wrapped and stuffed behind the front panel. Should be a totally reversible mod if need be.

More pictures to follow...

Max

4. VE3TMT

Hey Darrell,

Got the boards together with the ribbon cables. Replaced the original cable and display was still 100%. So far, so good. I fed the RGBHV signals to the converter board and got absolutely nothing. Tried both the RGBS and RGBHV inputs and got nothing. I'm beginning to wonder if the converter board is faulty.

Max

5. W6VHK

W6VHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Max,

Do you have a scope? or at least a dvm? ...measure the rgbvh lines and see if you are getting anything. Measure the at the Icom board, before the connections you made, and at the converter board .....it WILL work!

Darrell

6. VE3TMT

Hi Darrell,

No scope here.

7. W6VHK

W6VHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Max,

Do you have a DVM? ...Measure from point a to point b ( AC ) and see what you have ...

8. VE3TMT

Hi Darrell, just a standard digital meter. What is point A & B?

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

From where it starts (A) and where the signal is expected to be at the end (B).

Many DVMs will measure video and sync in ac mode.

Good Luck.

10. VE3TMT

Next time I have the radio open, I'll measure and see what I find.

To test the board I plugged my VGA output from the computer into the VGA input on the board. I then plugged my monitor into the VGA output from the board. Could not get a picture on the monitor.