ad: Anwtowers-1

I need some good video advice ( external video for a Icom 756pro )

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W6VHK, Oct 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, I see where my confusion was....because the contacts are facing up on J301, I thought the pins were reversed. Looking at the interior view again, I see my taps are on the correct end of J301 to line up with the proper pins on J891.

CRISIS AVERTED!!

I'll be glad when this one is done.

KA9JLM likes this.
  2. W6VHK

W6VHK Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my connections at J-301 ( on the front board ) ...in retrospect I should have from the main board ...higher up the food chain and closer to the source. The two flat ribbon cables that go from the main board to the front board are shielded and since I needed slightly longer ones for my project I used unshielded ones. Sometimes my display has a slight jitter and I am wondering if that could be why .....a project for another day.

3. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Darrell,

I got the 24-pin FFC connectors in today and they are just too small to comfortably work on. I broke a couple pins off just try to bend them out a bit to mate up. So it appears the only way I am going to be able to tap is to go further out on the display board. I am not going anywhere near J301. It has had too much soldering. The tap points out from J301 are easy to get at, except 4 of the 5, not counting ground are on the backside of the board. So the board would have to be separated from the front panel to get at them, this is getting messier all the time.

As for J891 on the main board, it's too crowded in there for me to work. The RGB lines are pretty easy to access in the resistor bank, but the HSYNC and VSYNC lines need to be tapped at the connector itself, and one of them is on the inward side of the connector, too cramped in there.

So at this point I am debating whether to continue or not, I certainly don't want to risk and unrepairable damage to the radio.

FWIW, the two replacement cables I used aren't shielded either, and I don't get any jittering in the display at all, even running the amp.

Max