I need some good video advice ( external video for a Icom 756pro )

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W6VHK, Oct 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay,

My latest thoughts...

Rather than risk damage to the display board connector, I'm going to buy a couple of 24-pin 1mm pitch through hole connectors, as pictured below. I'll use a short (2" is the shortest I can find) ribbon cable to run from the MAIN board to the first connector. The connectors will be mounted back to back and all pins jumpered (1 to 1, 2 to 2 and so on). Then I'll run another ribbon cable from the second connector to the display board.

I can then tie in to the RGBHV and ground lines at the junction of the corresponding pins. This way the mod is also fully reversible.

Another order to DigiKey ;)

Thoughts??

24-pin edge card.jpg

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is ribbon, Why not use a ribbon connector to tap in ?

[​IMG]
    Maybe I do not understand. Please forgive me.

3. VE3TMT

Trying to find it on Digikey. What is proper name for this?

4. KA9JLM

5. VE3TMT

6. KA9JLM

OK. Maybe your cable is to small for those type of connectors.

I must admit, I failed to pull a rabbit out of my hat. :(

I am sure you have it under control. Have Fun.

7. VE3TMT

No worries,it would have been an easier solution.

Max

8. W6VHK

W6VHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Max,

I wish I would have taken a picture of my connections at J-301 but it is all put together now ....

I made my own shielded cable from 5 small wires and the shield from a scrap of rg-58 cable. The pins on either side of J-301 are slightly raised from the board and that's what I soldered my 5 wires to. I used a small needle tip on my soldering gun and tinned both the wires and the J-301 pins and just went slowly and carefully and all went well. I then ran the cable thru a little plastic clamp ( as a strain relief ) . Even though your board looks slightly different than mine they are basically the same. Forget the "auto detect" feature ( I think this is for the output, not the input ) and set the input to RGB, not RGBVH. I would temporarily disconnect the internal display until you get this one working. Also, set the three adjustment pots to the middle as a start.

Darrell

9. VE3TMT

Hi Darrell,

I'm not going to try soldering around J301 anymore. I'm afraid of breaking a connection. I'm going to order the thru hole connectors and short cables tomorroe and tap off the junction. This way it is totally reversible. I'll keep you posted.

10. W6VHK

W6VHK Ham Member QRZ Page

Max,

I think I know what you are going to do and it sounds like a good idea ...Remember, the flat white cable that plugs into J-301 is shielded ( notice it has a pinkish color and one of the middle pins grounds to it.

Darrell