ad: rfparts

I NEED HELP !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N7ERE, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N7ERE

N7ERE Ham Member

MY NAME IS ERIC (KF5TOB) AND I AM WANTING TO GET A HF RIG BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT BASE RADIO TO GET THERE ARE SO MANY OUT THERE AND THEY ARE NOT!!CHEAP I AM JUST NEEDING SOME DIRECTION I AM REALLY NEW TO HAM RADIO ALSO I HAVE A MOBILE RADIO AND A HT BUT I WANT TO HAVE A BASE UNIT THAT CAN DO ALL MODES AND ALSO OPERATE ON HF IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVISE FOR ME PLEASE FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME I CHECK EVERYDAY AT eric.ekhoff@yahoo.com
    THANKS SO MUCH
    73'S KF5TOB

2. K5FH

K5FH Ham Member

"What rig do I need?" is an almost impossible question to answer without knowing a lot more about you and your interests, etc.

The major manufacturers each make all-mode "base units" (us OTs shy away from calling them "base units" because of the unavoidable CB reference). Do you just want HF thru 6M, or do you also want 2M and 440 MHz all-mode capability? What power level? What other features do you want? What modes do you want to operate (I'm guessing mostly SSB and digital)? What price range?

I'm asking for more information so I and others can give you more specific, and more accurate, advice. As your question stands now, it's too vague to answer in any meaningful way.

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member

Why an Email Eric, you hiding something? Get a used TS-2000 or an FT-890, either one will do exactly what you just described.

4. N1RKW

N1RKW Ham Member

If you're looking for a "shack in a box" rig that does all modes and all bands from 160m to 70 cm (except 222 mhz), take a good, long look at the Yeasu FT-857D. I've been very happy with mine. They also tend to be less expensive than comparable rigs, though it will still be a sizable investment.

5. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

Depends on your wants and needs from a grand for a used TS-2000 to $4000 for a new IC-9100 and several in between. For a mobile size rig the IC-7000 is the best all around rig for 440-160m $800-1k used but if you buy and FT-857 you still have to add filters to even get close to the 7000 also a larger display and if you wish for something larger can plug a monitor into the 7000 a 7" one.

6. K2XT

K2XT Subscriber

I would say get an IC706. Or an FT100. Then there is the FT900. Also a TS520 meets your requirements. An FT897 is great. Also a K3, Flex 5000 or Ten Tec Eagle. Ten Tec Orion, Omni VII. Kenwood TS590, 940, 930 or 950 SDX would also be great. FT1000MP or Mark V Field. Icom 817, really perfect. Older Icom 761, 765 or even a 740 or 745, all meet your requirements to a T. Icom 736, 737, 747, 756 Pro Ii or III. Stay away from a 756, they have bad displays. TS820 and 830 are ok, also a favorite of many is the TS850. Kenwood 870, that's a beauty too. Avoid the Eico 753, they drift, but a Heath SB100/101 is stable. Anything Collins is fantastic. All the above radios work all modes on HF and you will be happy with any of them, seriously. Wait, I forgot the Elecraft K2 and KX3.

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

If you have a nearby friendly radio club I suggest you talk to some members, visit their shacks, maybe play with some rigs. Maybe there are some older ones you can borrow for a while. (Rigs, not members).

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. N3IFD

N3IFD Ham Member

Hello Eric(ERIC-KF5TOB)!

My suggestion is:

=== CONSISTENT COMMUNICATIONS: ===

Bands: 080 Meter Band =to= 030 Meter Band @ ~ 1,554.6957 Miles Radius Coverage Area

Mode: A1A(CW)

I.F. Crystal Filter: 0,500 Hz @ -6 dB; 1,000 Hz @ -60 dB

Power: <= 100 Watts P.E.P. E.R.P.(025 Watts P.E.P. E.R.P. nominal)

External Transmatch: On back of rig/amplifier!

Feed Line: 100.000 feet long RG-8/X(RG-8M) coax; coax coils wound, 07 turns @ 5-1/2 inches diameter, taped; coil #1-antenna feed point,
    coil #2-outside shack wall, coil #3-back of external transmatch

Antenna: 36 feet long Dipole Antenna with 6 feet long extra wires drooping down at each end(48 feet total length) up about 24 feet in the air.

It is my firm belief that you WILL be successful with this arrangement.

JEFF-N3IFD/AECW
    [​IMG]

P.S.: People think that the radio is the only consideration. It's not.
    P.P.S.: If you need SSB, well, multiply the power by 11.2(get LINEAR!)!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

It really depends on how much money U want to spend. U can get a junker Heathkit HW-101 for around $50, or a FTdx9000 for only $14,000! You are best to stay away from Ebay, as that is a contest on how much you can OVERPAY for a rig. Best to buy it from a local ham in your local club. Many hams are buying new radios and have older rigs they want to put out to the pasture. Just about any of these radios will "WORK", so U need to set a budget and then find the radio. Good luck. For an antenna, just to get on the air, U can get a G5RV which will tune all bands. Save a few bux for a Tuner!

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber

Hi Eric - your profile on QRZ says that you're a Technician Class in a fairly rural part of Arkansas. It looks to me like you should be close enough to Little Rock, Ft. SMith and Fayetteville to possibly do some VHF/UHF work into those areas, though I don't know how much activity there is. It's been a long time since I was in that area, and I don't recall there being much, but things do change, and sometimes fairly rapidly as groups of local users come and go.

For VHF and UHF, beyond the repeaters, I suspect you'd find some action on 6 meter SSB, and certainly, when the band opens for Eskip, which it does a lot in the summer time, a good station with a good antenna will net you contacts all over the country and some DX, too. When 6 is open for Eskip, so is 10 meters, and 10 opens up much more than 6. You can also do meteor scatter on both 6 and 2 meters to make distant contacts out to about 1200 miles.

I guess I'd recommend a radio that you can actually use as a Technician and then again as a General. The TS-2000 would not be a bad choice, it gives you all mode operation up to UHF and even to 1.2 GHz. if desired. But, I also think UHF operators in your area are probably pretty rare. A used IC-746 or IC-746 PRO might serve you well - with 100 watts on all bands up through 2 meters. As a Tech, I think you're more likely to have success with 10 and 6 meters SSB, unless you learn the code. I've seen older 746's going in the $500 range. I have one here, and it's still going strong after many years of use. Remember that as a Tech, you can still listen on the HF phone bands, and I'd recommend you do that. It should give you incentive to upgrade, as well as helping to get you familiar with HF band propagation and activity.

In the compact mobile class of radios, the IC7000 would be my first choice because of its receiver. The FT857/897 have to be about the most popular ham rig in the world, and I know one very serious VHF contester who uses one for his 'rover' station. For HF and 6 meters only, I'd look at the FT450D and FT950 in the less expensive class, and the TS590 and Ten Tec Eagle or Jupiter in the 'under '$2K' class. If you only intend to operate FM on 2 meters and above - one of these radios with a separate 50 watt dualbander would be a good setup. You'd still have reasonable power on 6 meters and 10 meters.

Also, don't forget that the best radio in the world won't work well with a crummy antenna. The antennas are the most important thing. Particularly for VHF, you will need beam antennas. Fortunately, the largest ones - for 6 meters - aren't any bigger than a TV antenna. For HF, you can start with a simple dipole hanging from the TV mast that supports your 6 meter beam. The Alpha Delta DX-CC works great for me, but it's not that tough to build your own.

11. W1RFI

W1RFI Ham Member

12. K2XT

K2XT Subscriber

That's what I was trying to say........ You said it a lot better.

13. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member

depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

14. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator

In order to make some great first contacts and to get on the air, I recommend the Yaesu FT DX 9000MP. This radio will get you started in the right direction, and you can build from there.

15. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member

lol yeah, this is a great starter rig...

16. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator

Yes !! lol, to the OP, I am just kidding so you know. That's probably one of the most expensive radios out there. Still waiting for the piggy bank to fill to get that bad beast on my desk...

17. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

Why spend that much money when you can buy a much better radio for a fraction of the price the K3 will run circles around it even Yaesu's mid-price range rig the FTDX-5000 at half the price is a much better radio. The best part for $2k you can get a base model K3/100 that outperforms 98% of all the radios out there when it's loaded there is none better that matches all it's features.

18. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator

Ok, you are correct, I'll but a K3.....

19. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member

I think he needs to turn off the caps key. Having your post in all caps is annoying and it is like YELLING. Hasn't anyone told you that? There has been a lot of good advice here on the radios but what about the antenna? It is the most important part!!

Rick wn2c

20. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber

Some good suggestions here (including the cap lock :D)

I can suggest what rigs to avoid being a new ham and possibly unfamiliar with how these rigs work:

Older, vacuum tube powered radios (they're awesome, but really need a lot of tweaking and knob twisting)
    Newer, expensive rigs with tons of bells and whistles (you just need the basics when you're starting out)

My first HF rig was/is an old Icom 720A, clicklety-clackety relays and all. It still works great and is a backup to my Collins S Line.

Good luck :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.