I need help mounting a tilt-over 2-meter antenna to my car roof.

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC0BUS, Apr 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    - I have a 5/8-wave 2-meter mobile vertical antenna that’s base loaded with an NMO mount at the bottom. I have it screwed into a large, round magnet mount base and stuck to the trunk of my car. It performs a lot better than the ¼-wave magnet antenna I was using previously on top of my roof even though the 5/8-wave antenna is mount lower down on the trunk lid. I have the 5/8-wave stuck to my trunk lid because it allows me to drive my car into my garage at home. I currently only have need of it being temporarily mounted back there, so no need to mount it permanently. Especially while I’m still antenna experimenting on my car.

- I’m wanting to see if I can possibly place it on the roof of my car for even greater overall performance. However, it’s far too tall for that location and still allow me to pull my car into my garage. So I was thinking of possibly getting some kind of tilt-over adapter that goes between the antenna and the magnet mount base. I did a Goolag search for an NMO tilt-over adapter and found none.

- So my question is: ….is there some other way I can go about putting a 5/8-wave 2-meter mobile vertical antenna on the roof of my car and have the needed tilt-over feature and still have it mounted onto a magnetic base? Remember; I only want a temporary mount, and I already realize I may need to somehow hookup a RF negative bonding strap coming off the base mount somewhere. But so far it doesn’t really seem to need one and works fine without one. Currently, I’m using only a simple 5-watt maximum handie talkie, so I don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

Thank you

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're handicapped twice. Once using the mag mount, and once using a handheld. Take your pick.

3. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

They're both chosen because I need them inside the car (HT) and outside the car (magnet mount antenna), because I need to be able to move them quickly to a different vehicle on a moments notice.