I just want to confirm the QSO. I dont care about the time!!!

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by M0XMX, Feb 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ confirmations require each party to record in its logbook sufficient data to achieve a confirmation. If you are not able to recall the details then it is neither possible to satisfy a confirmation request via QRZ; it would have to be dealt with using other QSLing means.

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mike, in that case I would reply just as you did here, saying you recall the QSO but not the particulars, and hope the other party understands. If they can provide the details, I would then confirm; if they get all huffy I just say "NIL" and be done with it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    N0TZU and KN7S like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps it would be helpful to have a prominent statement on your QRZ Bio page that you are frequently operating mobile and can't do real time logging, so QSL requests should be accompanied by an email with details so that you can confirm (Assuming of course that you recall having the QSO.)

AG5DB, K3XR, N6QIC and 1 other person like this.
  4. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What some serious mobile operators use is a small recorder. They record everything then when they get home all the real time information is recorded. Just remember to say the time so it records.

5. M0IGM

M0IGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I appreciate your position. I haven't got a patent solution for QSOs when one is mobile. Legally, mobile qso's don't need to be documented and the only suggestion I would make is to say to the QSO partner that you don't QSL when you are moving. Alternatively, just reply as a reason for not confirming the QSO that you cannot remember having it. Safety comes first when you are driving.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good point, and smartphones have recording apps.

N6QIC likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a backlog of requests to confirm QSO's and I like to help folks out that are making those requests however some of my information is in a notebook and may not have made it into the QRZ log because just don't have that much interest in doing all that logging.

This is how I resolved the problem. I reject all of those pending requests and when you do that a window will appear so you can send a message along with the rejection the message I send......"If you require a confirmation from K3XR for a QSO please send an email to K3XR@xx.net with all the details of the contact in order that I may be able to complete the confirmation. " Have received a good response to this request and figure for those who don't respond they were not all that interested in a confirmation to begin with.

N0TZU likes this.
  8. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not just show the user the time entered by the requesting party? I understand a log needs time. However, I don't understand why each user has to enter the time themselves. Well, I understand the idea, but it is misguided, IMHO. It is rather annoying and leads to never confirming requests.

If somebody is going to forge their logbook with false entries they are going to do it regardless of what the QRZ system does. It seems pointless to make users jump through hoops.

Like everybody I know, I will end up using some other logbook software because of this behavior. It is just not worth my time to guess the time of contact repeatedly until the system decides there is a match. Most of my QSOs are ragchews, and they typically get logged at the end, which might be 15 mins or two hours.

Do any contests even accept QRZ's logbook as an official record? Most seem to want LOTW.

Yes, user error.... Yes, operator error for not logging the start time of the QSO, etc... I get the idea. I just think it is pointless, since this is an honor system anyway.

Make the software easy for the honest user. Don't punish all the honest users with a poor interface that requires extra steps just because some people may want to forge records. The squirrels will always get to the birdfeeder no matter what you do.

Maybe this rule will not change, but user will change logbooks instead.

M0XMX, K3XR and N0TZU like this.
  9. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In his original post/screen shot he entered the time incorrectly, using the wrong syntax. No matter what time he entered he will get the same error because the time format is entered wrong.

M0XMX and W7UUU like this.
  10. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. Though I would think that input would be sanity checked when the database entry was created. Like time and date stored in a standard date/time stamp (e.g. Seconds since the Epoch, etc.), and checked both on the client side and the server side.

Are times stored in the database and compared as strings rather than SQL datetime s?

But the real point I was making is that this whole match the time "feature" is not an effective way to combat fraud, but is an effective way to drive users away. More users means more page views, more ad revenues to support the site. QRZ is a great site, and the logbook is useful as a personal log, but I frequently have trouble getting QSOs to confirm due to the time matching "feature." The rest of the system actually works quite well. I am not a contester at this point. I just want a personal log. I really don't necessarily care abou not being able to confirm QSOs, but possibly people who send requests care that I don't confirm them.