ad: w5yi

I just bought a Yaesu FT-1xdr... Should i bought a Ft-70dr?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by HJ3SUA, Mar 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. HJ3SUA

HJ3SUA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am new to amateur radio, i have my licence since december 2018.... Finally...
    Log story short... A friend has a group of amateur radio, and they are using yaesu system Fusion, so they convince me to get into the group.... The idea was to buy a Ft70dr... Or a Ft2dr.... I had let's say "limited budget".... So the Ft2dr was a no....
    I found on eBay a really good deal on a Ft1xdr.... Mint radio with box, and manuals, etc... I bought it....
    But... Is it worth it to buy th Ft1xdr on 2019.... Or should i bought the Ft70dr.?

Thanks.

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Without knowing how "good" the deal was, I'll have to assume it was close to the cost of a 70DR give or take. The FT1 has more features than the 70 so you got more for your money by getting the FT1. Yes it has been discontinued but that doesn't affect its function or usefulness. If it's updated to the latest available firmware version it will support the Fusion2 options should you choose to use them.
    I have an FT1XDR that I bought new a few years ago and I still use it, mostly with a hotspot.

3. HJ3SUA

I bought it for $235 plus shipping... I was following lots of auctions during the past two months... and I thing the price was good... i saw auctions ending at $250-300 for the Ft1dx in original box with accesories...
    I didn't want to buy the ft2dr, because of the screen, sometimes i'm kind of hard with "toys"... so i wanted this one...
    BTW... tomorrow i will have the radio...

Some images of the auction...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. HJ3SUA

BTW, i ordered a Diamond SRH701 antenna, and a Signal Stuff Super-Elastic Signal Stick antenna to... I read and heard good comments on them.

5. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, well if that's $235US I can't say it was a bargain, I think that's about what I paid for mine new a few years ago.
    It's still a nice radio, just not a great deal. Had you asked before purchasing and given the price, I would have suggested carefully comparing the additional features with the 70 (plus the benefit of a new radio with a warranty) so you could make an informed decision whether it's worth an additional $100.

6. HJ3SUA

Actually i bought the ft70dr @HRO after 3 weeks they didn't ship it... i wrote them.. and they said they have to back ordered to Japan.. bla bla bla... so.. i talk to some friends, some sayd buy the ft2dr, odres the 1xdr... oders the 70dr... So i went with this one... I know it is not a bargain... but i think i have a good robust radio... I know i do not have the benefits of a new radio with warranty, but i am used to buy lot of used stuff (cameras, lenses, flashes, cellphone, etc)... I hope not to have any problems in th future with this one....

Thanks!