I have NO clue about Smart Watches. Is that even what you call them?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WB0MPB, Dec 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you have a valid point there. Cell phone sales have been pretty much flat for some time now because the market is saturated. Basically anyone who wants/needs one already has one and the only sales are for replacements of existing models, but the market demands ever increasing sales or a company isn't considered "successful". That means they have to keep coming up with new ways to sell us stuff we don't really need.

But that being said, I think there is a good reason for something like the Apple watch's health monitoring. The fall detection system could be very helpful for frail elderly people, and the ECG function the new Apple watch could be useful for someone like me who has heart rhythm issues. But the ECG technology is still new and how well it works in the real world hasn't really been proven yet. And that sucker costs $400+ depending on the model and features.

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a smart gamble on Apple's part, though, and here's what I suspect will happen: Because medical care is so expensive (especially for the elderly), medical insurance will end up covering smartwatches because it'll be less expensive to keep tabs on patients than having them make appointments to go to doctors and hospitals for monitoring. ...and, since patients can be monitored 24/7, any "burp" in the readings will be preventive medicine for conditions that could become worse (i.e, more expensive) later without the monitoring.

KC9YGN likes this.
  3. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that's a good point. I didn't think of that. If the technology is successful it could become a "medical device" that they could ding the insurance company for. I certainly wish I could have worn something as simple as a watch type device rather than the Holter monitor I had to wear when they were testing me. I also wish I could convince them that my tested and calibrated BP monitoring gadget's results are just as accurate as what they use at the clinic so I didn't have to make a 40 mile round trip to the clinic for BP checks.

4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Preventative monitoring is certainly a good thing but another use for it will probably be:

Wearing a watch / medical monitoring device for a year will be a prerequisite to being able to buy insurance at any affordable price. Of course the watch will report all preexisting conditions for which you will not be covered.

There will be a black market for watches that have been worn for a year by a healthy person.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Shades of Gattica, eh?

6. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Fitbit, which is fairly intelligent. It talks to my iPhone (they work with Android, too) to some extent - when I get a message or a phone call, the watch buzzes and the text scrolls across the screen. This is really nice if I've got my phone charging in the next room and I can't hear it. I use the Fitbit mostly to track my heart rate, and it does a good job of that.

Mine is pretty beat up. I think I'll get a higher grade model next time. They've gained intelligence since I got mine.

7. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a prerequisite now. Insurance from my previous employer was $1400 more per year if you didn't submit to their blood testing. It was billed as "helping employees lead healthier happier lives". You needed to hit 4 of the 6 targets, a few of them being cholesterol, blood sugar and A1C. If you missed you could get the discount by enrolling in lifestyle classes.

Do you think they'd accept the labs from my last doctor's visit and the data from my Vivosmart for the previous 24 months? I spend more that twice their discount per year for a lifting gym membership and hockey team fees. Nope, had to take their test. "Don't worry if you fail, you can always just take the lifestyle adjustment classes and get the discount", they said.

I opted out. These are all matters for me and my doctor to discuss, not some actuary, not my employer.

Read the privacy statements from all these health apps and fitness devices, you'll find that there are serious privacy holes. Apple has some of the better language, I just don't like their watch. Garmin is okay as long as you make sure you turn off a lot of the telemetry, but third party apps like SugarWOD, WODHopper, Group Fitness .... ugh. Be careful, that is a sinkhole for your data and who knows where it goes.

WN1MB likes this.
  8. WA3YAY

WA3YAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a square-ish Asus. It was just OK until the battery life got to about 5 hours. Apparently it was a problem that a Mfg's software update caused. I gave it to a friend. Not sure what happened to it. I also had a Pebble. Then the company folded, the thing started acting wonky - it would go blank for no reason. That's in a box somewhere. I have a Fitbit now that I really don't use right. But the numbers are nice and big and bright. Nice for my old eyes. Would I buy another smartwatch? No way