I have NO clue about Smart Watches. Is that even what you call them?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WB0MPB, Dec 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am probably the least educated person in the world about smart watches. I am not sure that I am even smart enough to ask educated questions but I will try. I apologize now for my ignorance!
    I have been reading and studying them as best as I can but I just can't comprehend how they work.
    First here are just three of the many watches I have been reading about to get us started.
    Watch 1
    Watch 2
    Watch 3
    FYI: I have an LG smart phone with android OS on it.
    So do these somehow work with the phone I have? Can I make and receive phone calls from these watches through my smart phone? It talks about I need a SIM card for it. How do I know what SIM card I need to get?
    If I bought one of these watches just what would I need to do next, buy next or what ever to make the thing work for me with my smart phone if that is what it is suppose to do?
    Does anyone understand what I don't understand? I am not sure if I have any idea what I don't understand??!!

So can anyone help me any with these?
    Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions and helping me or trying to help me.

John, WB0MPB

2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

You first need to figure out what you want to accomplish with your smart watch. Activity and fitness tracking? You want to log bike rides? Count the laps at the pool?
    A changeable face or a watch that buzzes and lets you know when you have a text message? When you have that figured out, then you can start picking watches.

You don't want those watches in those links. For starters, two of them are 2G GSM and those networks are gone on AT&T and not long for this world on T-Mobile.

3. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno that much about them.

XYL bought me this watch a couple years ago for Christmas.

She said it was a "Smart Watch". I guess she meant it is smarter than me.

I can't figure out how to get on the internet, or take my pulse or blood pressure or anything else other than see the time with it. It doesn't even do THAT very accurately.

Guess I'm just not a high tech guy. I'll eventually puzzle it out.

Y'all think maybe she was pulling my leg ?

upload_2018-12-21_19-24-26.png

AG5CK likes this.
  4. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

John, I can assured you of three things about smart watches: 1. Another battery to keep charged. ( not difficult, you plug in your droid phone ) . 2 Not very good audio quality, but maybe a bit faster in answering the phone regarding up to the face. For around $25.00 my Q7 is that way. 3. Competes with docking the phone to the car ( Bluetooth can connect the pair, yet which pair if both are enabled- need to turn the Bluetooth off if you need* handsfree in the car). You mileage and specific result may vary. Mine was a 'Black Friday' door buster at the big department store with copper money in the name. I do not endorse the product, just tried it for similar money ( see #2 above ). - Jon *In Texas, folks have been getting tickets for texting and even dialing. Incoming phone calls with one-button are still O.K., yet not endorsed by public safety.

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw one the other day that told you how minutes had passed since the most recent midnight. It seemed to use some sort of weird base 60 arithmetic.

6. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

The ones you linked to are crappy Chinese knockoffs and best avoided. You're not going to get a genuine, good quality smartwatch for $12.99, a legit brand-name one is in the $hundreds.
    Although not absolutely essential, the best functionality/compatibility is usually found by matching the watch brand with the phone (assuming that particular mfr. makes both). It also matters what version of Android your phone has, if it's say a 5+ year old phone running Kit-Kat (4.4) it may not work well or at all with these watches. The watch specs will indicate the minimum Android version required for compatibility. Obviously don't buy an Apple watch and expect it to do much with an Android phone.
    Overall this whole smartwatch thing hasn't really caught on like the manufacturers had intended/hoped, they're still mostly an expensive gimmick that isn't worth the attention required or price of admission. There may be some alleged health benefits (heart rate monitor, step counter etc) but IMO I've made it this far without a fussy gadget on my wrist to tell me if I'm alive or dead. ;)
    I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't do all that much with the phone, and if that's the case then the "smart" functionality of one of these is probably not going to be of much benefit or interest to you. Of course you could just ignore all that stuff and use it simply as a fancy watch, but in that case you'd be better off with, well, a fancy watch.
    Do some more Googling to learn as much as you can, maybe stop some millenials on the street who are wearing them and ask questions (you'll either learn things or get arrested).

7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well in my condition my biggest lap is a trip to the bathroom and back. LOL
    Also I don't drive anymore so I don't do that.

So thanks for the info each of you have given me.

John, WB0MPB

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

As others have mentioned, smartwatches are handy if you have a need one for one—otherwise, it's just a gadget that you need to charge (usually) daily.

My dad has an Apple smartwatch and it's good for him because it not only handles calls and texts, but it has a number of health-related functions that are good for him to monitor. In addition, it has a function where if he falls, the watch will call 911 for him and will feed the first responders with his vitals and exact location. (He has to turn that function off when playing tennis, though, else his hand's movements set it off.)

Of course, you have to have an iPhone or iPad within bluetooth range to have the watch do stuff other than tell time--yet another device to keep charged. : P

9. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The cheap ones are little more than kids' toys that aren't worth the plastic they're made from, to be honest. And unless you have some kind of health issues that might make having something like the Apple Watch useful, I don't see any real reason to get one. The latest generation offered by Apple has a fall detector that allegedly can call emergency services if you don't respond after a fall, and even has a (sort of) EKG system built into it to monitor your heart.

As for handling phone calls, texts, etc, well, why? It has to be paired with a smart phone which presumably you already have in your pocket, so what's the point in duplicating the technology you already have in your pocket?

WD0BCT likes this.
  10. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is the mfrs. digging deeper into that pocket for your money to sell you yet another device you didn't know you needed. Kinda like when they had sold us all those new HDTV's, which were great, then tried to figure out how to sell us something new after that and came up with 3DTV which failed miserably.

KC9YGN and KB0MNM like this.