I have been cheated by AA6GP

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by EA7KAZ, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that's pretty broad brush you're painting with. I don't have my email address listed on my QRZ bio page and I consider myself an honest person. Quite a while back, I started receiving a tremendous amount of spam and other annoying email. I'm not making any accusations, just stating the facts. The day I removed my email address from the QRZ data base, those emails stopped.. Just sayin'....

KM5FL

2. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the scams against hams are from hijacked call signs with no email address in their QRZ profile. That seems to be the first thing these scammers look for. Also if you notice most of the hijacked call signs are starting with "A" or "AA" etc. Tells us the scammers are going directly to the top of the members list on QRZ then going down the list and picking the first profile they come to with no email address. This is why it is very important to have some kind of contact info on your profile.

3. KF5WDS

KF5WDS Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. One month is plenty of time. I'm sorry you were the victim of such a horrible crime.

How does stuff like this happen?

4. KM5FL

I'll assume your facts to be accurate, but before I'll endure all those unwanted emails, I'll just continue to keep my email address a bit confidential.. BTW, and for the record -- I always include my email address in any ads I post on the internet.. I have a few and they're all "legitimate" addresses.. No "gmail", xxhoo.com", etc.. I also limit the sites where I place my ads to those that have better "records" for their users being the target for scammers..

One of the ham gear related classified sites posts the ip address of the poster.. I can see how that would tend to thin the number of scammers appearing on that site.

I will say this in closing.. The first time my call gets hyjacked for any reason, I'll immediately "unregister" on QRZ.. My contact info is quite public enough, I don't need the hassle..

KM5FL

5. W5OP

W5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

I talk to Tim every day on 40 meters. His call sign has been hijacked. He has never offered any radios up for sale.

6. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry you feel that way, what you think is incorrect however.

People shouldn't buy stuff from people who don't list their email address on QRZ. It's indicative of a scam for a whole host of reasons. The fact that you don't list your call sign, and claim to be an honest person refutes nothing. Statistically, no one should do business with you on here. The fact that you have at least 5 posts, and more ten 30 looks ups on here makes you slightly more credible.

7. KM5FL

There's a whole host of contact info avaliable that can be obtained by simply knowing a person's address. My address is totally legitimate, and my telephone number is available by simply looking it up.. It's public information, it just requires a touch more effort than "point and click".. When I place an ad for something I want to sell, my phone number is made available to anyone interested in that item. Isn't that enough contact info for someone to contact me??

KM5FL

8. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

The person who's callsign was hijacked asked for it. Literally.
    They received a fake email from QRZ. They clicked the link in that email. That link took them to a fake QRZ. The first page of the fake QRZ required a Username and Password to proceed. The hijacked ham gave them his callsign and password. He never once checked the address of the page. He never even wondered why QRZ wanted that information, "don't they already have it?". The scammer goes into the hijacked ham's QRZ callsign look-up and changes the email address (So much for that "no email addy" theory.) He can change anything legitimate users can change.

There is a thread here that explains the process. Y'all need to read it so you can educate yourselves. http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?385521-QRZ-needs-your-help-LETS-CATCH-THIS-GUY!

Nothing more than gullibility and ignorance by the ham who's callsign was hijacked, and the poor slob who got scammed. That is what the scammers count on. People who don't do their homework.

So, how do we protect ourselves from scammers? It is right here on DA ZED:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?284078-WESTERN-UNION-AND-SCAMMERS!

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?375785-How-to-Avoid-Getting-Ripped-Off

Hope that helps.

9. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve what you are describing is not what happens in the majority of scams. Most of the scams and hijacked call sign attempts are made against hams who do not have a contact email address in their QRZ profile. There are times as you know when a scammer takes it a step further and actually hacks the QRZ profile page and changes the contact information on the profile but like I said that is not the majority of scams. In fact it is a very small percentage. From what I have charted out over the last 12 months we are well over 90% of all call signs being hijacked where the profile contact information is not up to date. So if you are reading this please take a moment and update your profile info to include a valid email address. You will be glad you did. We have to beat these scammers. They will take your money. Also as mentioned in the prior post never click on a link via email or private message to sign into your account. Go to your home screen and type in the address you want to go to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.