I have a thought, maybe a dream

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by K7DSS, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K7DSS

K7DSS Guest

Maybe this has been thrashed about before, but I am looking for an HF tranceiver that can be controlled by a computer. Here is the deal. I have a home in Oregon, a home in Yuma and a piece of property in Oregon that is kinda like on a mountain with no facilities. I would like to have a tranceiver up there and be able to control it form either my home in Oregon or my home in Yume via the internet. Is this possible?

Dave K7DSS

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

Of course it is. But with "no facilities" how will it access the internet and have power?

If you have power and internet access available at the "no facilities" location, you have many choices. One "internet ready" HF rig that is pretty plug-and-play is the Ten Tec Omni-VII. It's a good rig and has all the software embedded for remote internet control.

3. K7DSS

K7DSS Guest

A good start WB2WIK. The radio is the first issue to be faced. I am thinking about solar and batteries to start a remote generator but those problems are minor to the radio. I will look into the ten tec omni-VII, thanks for the heads up.

I could use ideas on how to set up the support equip. too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  4. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber

This kind of operation seems to be getting popular.

I have worked quite a few (45+) different amateurs running HF remote. Watch out for "latency". I don't recall ever working someone on CW who was running HF remote though...........Again, the keyword could be "latency" for the lack of CW remote operators? I don't know.

Although I personally have little to no interest in HF remote, here are two of the main setups I recall people running when I work them.

Remote using an Elecraft K3

Remote using a Kenwood TS-480

Good luck,

Tom KC├śW

5. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber

Here is another approach which is reasonably inexpensive and from seeing it in operation I know it works. Get a Kenwood TS 480SAT (very good radio for the money by the way). It has a separate control head. Buy "Remotorig" ( a product from Europe sold here by HRO). The radio itself (but not the control head) goes on the mountain plugged into the remotorig and in turn to an internet line via Ethernet cable(no computer needed). The second remotorig (they come in pairs) goes where ever you want to operate and you plug the control head into it and the remotorig to an internet line with an Ethernet cbale. You are on the air and have the actual radio control head in fromt of you. The remotorig boxes work with any transceiver having a separate control head but is ready made for the TS 480. Not counting whatever infrastructure you need at your Oregon mountaintop the radio and remotorig will set you back less than $1,500 total.

6. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member

As the Germans say in the advert, something like "Technic dur duckspring," I stand to be corrected

7. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member

A solar panel, charge controller, and decent battery will power it. Shut the radio off when not in use to save power. Solar power is expensive so use it carefully. You will need a link back to civilization. I would discourage satellite (Sky Blue or Hughes) due to nasty latency. Icom makes those 1.2 GHz data radios that would work. There are also many commercial products on 2.4 GHz that could be used. You will need a location down in town to connect it to the internet. That might mean paying someone rent to put the antenna, link radio, on their premises. You also have to pay for internet. Perhaps a small cafe with internet might work a deal with you. Just remember you will have monthly expenses and at some time it will need fixing. A nearby ham might let you mooch off his place!

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

A wealthy guy in our DX Club uses one of these SDR radios (Flex 5000) which he can access from his cellphone anywhere in the world. So as long as one has cellphone coverage, life is good. He can work pileups, control the antenna and KW. All while enjoying a MAI TAI on the beach in WAKKIKI!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.