I got a question for a VE who knows more then I do please help

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W6CSA, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
  1. W6CSA

W6CSA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a friend N3IVR who was a Tech Plus in the mid/late 1980s. Now her call is valid and I thought I read somewhere or heard somewhere that if you were a tech plus back then you could submit it and will automatically be granted General class privs. Is the information I have correct and how would she go about doing this?

73 Anthony W6CSA
  2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is pretty much correct. If she had a tech prior to March 1987 (IIRC), then she took the general written exam, and qualifies for the general license simply by providing proof of license from that era, and filling out the paperwork with the VE team, and paying the test fee.

Has been that way since April 15, 2000. This assumes that her tech license is still effective today.

3. W6CSA

W6CSA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you sir I passed the info along now I gotta figure out how to get her old Licenses for her.

73 and have a good evening.
  4. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

That could be a problem, but a copy of a call book of the proper year (or earlier) is accepted also as I've been told. I was eligible for the grandfather clause, but decided to go ahead and test out for general and extra once I saw the questions on the practice quizzes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.