I did not know

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KL7AJ, Feb 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The first time the term "DXpedition" was used was during Clipperton. Guess that makes sense, but that was much later than I would have thought.

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

What year was that?

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't find a clear answer on Google, but maybe 1998 or 2000. Later that I would have thot too.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

1954...same year I was bornded

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DX-pedition

Another example is the voyage of the schooner Kaimiloa, which traveled the South Pacific in 1924. While the ship's wealthy owners enjoyed the islands, an amateur radio operator kept contact with, and sent QSL cards to, experimenters in the United States.

6. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

From an old timer and DX chaser I first heard the term in reference to a fellow named Danny Weil, his boat was the Yasme, and he operated from numerous islands in the Caribbean mainly from the VP2 prefix and that covered all the islands that use J prefixes now, they were still under British rule. Prior to that there was a first effort made to Kenya, this is from old QSTs. The term has been around for some time I had heard it used in the sixties.

What is new these days is the term ATNO that has just surfaced a few years ago. I have not used that term since ATNO comes so seldom, however z60A was and the only one I still need is North Korea and doubt it will happen in my life time.

I read the article by Tom Gallagher in QST last month about some changes in Ham Radio. I recall the jargon then was "My Handle is " That was quite common and everyone used it. It gave away to Name, or Op on CW. A dipole was called a Doublet, and we still had Kilocycles and Megacycles, Microfarad, and Micro Micro Farad.

Plus use of phonetics were quite common and often stations had clever memorable ones for their suffix. You rarely hear that any longer. One such gentlemen was W6AKF who used " Always Kissing Females" then injected an HI after he gave his call. For those that are not CW ops HI is the telegraph laugh. Much like LOL on computer.