I created an easy way to support Amateur Radio Parity Act...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KU0O, Jul 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't speak for others but I've already done that.

2. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it's not.

3. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HR1301:
    (3) There is a strong Federal interest in the effective performance of amateur radio stations established at the residences of licensees.

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No it isn't. Here's why:

Part of the merits of any legislation is precedent. Restrictions have been preempted for TV dishes. Why are amateur radio antennas different from them? Why is watching satellite TV, which is a HOBBY, so much more important than getting on the amateur bands? Same for flying the American flag, and other things.

What is it that you're really afraid of? Surely, a few verticals and dipoles can't be all that bad?

5. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

I can speak for others btut just thinking about tens of millions of antennas sprouting up gives me the shakes. Verticals, dipoles and beams, Oh My

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget lions, and tigers and bears.

It's funny...in the fifties and sixties, and even most of the seventies, almost every home in America sprouted an outdoor television antenna; in literally millions of cases, those were on towers because in rural areas a rooftop antenna wouldn't quite receive the signals.

Didn't seem to bother anyone.

7. N2EY

But....that's already happened. Look at all the satellite dishes...and they're not hidden in the back yard, either.

It puzzles me that some people want to live in a technological society, with all its benefits, but don't want to see the technology itself. As if it is somehow "obscene" and "ugly".

8. WB2WIK

Locally there have been a few cases where HOAs prohibited or at least fought hard against the installation of cell phone towers on or near their properties. Then, many complained their cell phone service was weak and intermittent, they had to go outside to use their phones and stuff...because the nearest cell was marginal where they were located.

Funny stuff.

9. N2EY

Exactly. Some people want perfect cell coverage but NO cell sites. They want cheap, reliable, clean electricity, but NO power plants, power lines, substations, etc.

10. WB2WIK

I'd love to have a cell tower in my yard. Almost nothing would make me happier; unfortunately my location isn't a good one for that so it's never been offered.

But I do know a guy, a plumbing contractor who isn't a ham, only about seven or eight miles from here who does have a cell tower on his private property, about 100 feet behind his home. It's pretty big, I'd guess eighty feet or so tall with what appears to be twelve antennas on it.

He's very happy. Verizon paid for everything, provides his family with free service for life, and also pays him rent which covers the entire cost of his mortgage. I wish I had a deal like that, just don't live in the right place for it. Joe is in a good spot, on a hill rising about 200 feet above and overlooking the I-5 freeway. That's likely why Verizon approached him.