ad: chuckmartin

I created an easy way to support Amateur Radio Parity Act...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KU0O, Jul 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No place is perfect; that's why I've moved so many times.

I happen to like the natural attributes of southern CA near the coast; we can change almost anything except the wx. But I must admit the wx here the past two weeks has been awfully chilly...we're actually using the heat almost every day, which isn't the norm.

Might be the end of the world.

L.A. doesn't have a lot of HOAs, but most 'new construction' in developments or subdivisions do. Unless you're pretty wealthy, then you can easily avoid them even with new construction -- but most of us can't afford that.

It's interesting that the 'very high end' new construction, like Hidden Hills, Rancho Palos Verdes, Palos Verdes Estates, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc. do not have restrictions. But I can't afford those places, and the majority can't. So, it's 'older homes' for me.

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I like WA. We have almost everything anyone else has but, w/o a lot of the bad stuff. In my 55 years here, I've visited many areas and am VERY impressed. I still want to explore SW WA but I've seen the other corners and lots of places in between.

BTW, Eastern WA is mostly rural. If I ever am able to retire, I kinda think I'd like to live near Wenatchee in the center & on the Columbia River (East of the Cascade Mountains). Actually, more precisely, in/near Waterville on the plateau East of Wenatchee.

3. WB2WIK

But...can you say Wenatchee five times quickly.

Only part of eastern WA I've been to more than once was Spokane; wow, I can't believe I went there twice, but it was for business.

I sure agree EWA is very different from WWA. Almost like two different countries; but then again, CA is a bit like six or seven different countries. A lot of 'visitors' think CA is SF, LA or SDgo and never saw anything else...they missed out on a lot of what CA really is.

4. WA7PRC

It's pronounced "We Naturally". Ive been to Spokane several times. It's not so bad except Winters can be brutal, and the smog in the valley can be thick.

The last time I was in CA was to bring my then GF home from Los Banos. We managed to make it to the OR border in 10 hours. It would've been less but, the #$%$% moving truck wouldn't go any faster! ;):p:rolleyes:

5. WB2WIK

At least Los Banos should have bathrooms...heck, the town was named for them.:p

WA7PRC likes this.
  6. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted this in another forum and I believe it's applicable to this discussion:

Trying to compare the type of contract a owner signs when purchasing a property with restrictions which may or may not be strictly constitutional or legal using our current laws (because what is and what isn't legal is and has been fluid since the creation of our country) to a short term personal services contract is specious in that the second type of contract can be and always is amended at the time of renewal. Actually covenants and HOA laws are many times kept from the purchaser. You could say let the buyer beware but I don't believe that's valid legal advise. As I stated elsewhere and not for religious purposes, the only document that cannot be amended is the ten commandments. Laws and rules have historically been fine tuned and changed. Rand Paul, the Libertarian once said that while he was personally against a color line when it comes to providing services to people, His belief was that the government had no right to rule that businesses be open to all. That may be his dream of the kind of country he'd like to live in using a strictly Libertarian philosophy. Happily though, that isn't the system we have in the United States and so many times and for a variety of reasons the federal government has stepped in to be the final determiner of what is legal and what isn't. That's why abortion is legal in the US, as much as some would like to overturn it and separate but equal is not, as much as some would like to overturn it. The authority of HOA's is given to them by the government and while they have certain rules in place they do not have laws in place and Covenants are rules and restrictions placed on property but I'd bet that someone with deep enough pockets could fight them stating that once you pay your money and hold the deed, what is and what isn't done with a property is the right of the owner as long as what they are doing is within the zoning law. Only government can make laws. HOA's can only have rules and they are not the same as laws nor do they hold the same strength.

7. WB2WIK

Good reason for that, and I agree it happens often.

If you wanted to sell your home, I doubt you'd go out of your way to point out every defect you've ever found. You want to sell it, not prevent its sale.

Same thing goes for restrictions and regulations. If you're selling to a family with little kids, I doubt you'd want to point out that swing sets, slides and backyard trampolines are forbidden by regulation. Let 'them' find out.

8. WA7PRC

And that is why HR1301/S1685 should be very carefully considered. That assumes our congress critters deem it should be considered before more than 10,000 other pieces of legislation. IMO, since it doesn't state a NEED for hams to erect antennas against their HOA contracts/agreements/whatever, HR1301/S1685 should not be at/near the top of the list.

9. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no need to state a reason. Amateur radio is legal and licensed by the United States Federal government. They have the final say as to what is and what isn't needed. You and I are not in a position to guess our way out of this. Importance is not how bills come to the floor to be voted on and if you believe they are let me welcome you to the United States. Boy, are you in for an education. By the way, I just picked up my 80 meter DXCC which gives me an 8 band DXCC. I don't operate on 160, 6 or 2 and only need a data DXCC to finish that challenge.

W5WN likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

Au contraire! Before stepping on legal private contracts/agreements/whatever, government requires to see a need greater than the sanctity of those contracts/agreements/whatever. My SWAG says the hobby of 750K vs 315M Americans isn't anywhere near enough reason. Thus far, the pushers of HR1301/S1685 have yet to show enough reason.

Congrats on 80m DXCC! :)