I created an easy way to support Amateur Radio Parity Act...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KU0O, Jul 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am well aware of Springstein, My wife and I drove past the Stone Pony last summer. He recorded Born To Run about 10 minutes from my house in Orangeburg NY. He used the same studio that Janis Ian used to record, At 17. I attended a recording session their in the 1970's when I worked in local radio. I've been with one of the major US radio network's since 1978 so you could say that radio is my life, hi hi. I'm guessing that we won't hear any news concerning the priority act until he congress resumes after the new year. Speaking of apartments, I was lucky. I lived on the top floor of a 6 story apartment in the early 1980's. When I asked the landlady for a top floor apartment her response to me was, Oh, so you like a nice view (we were right on the Hudson river). I said yes but what I meant was that I wanted to be close to the roof so I could put up antennas and the super let me. I had a mini quad and other antennas that allowed me to operate 80-10 meters plus a 2 meter beam. I worked Father Moran in Nepal from there. I was very fortunate and went from Novice to Extra while living there. My radios were a Hallicrafters HT44 and a National NC303. Eventually I bought a TS 520SE. Back to Sprinstein, I like certain things he did but not a big fan. I prefer more urban music and group harmony music from the 1950's. To each there own, I guess.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Never had an HT-44, but did have an NC-303. Spin the dial...wheeeeee.

It was so big and roomy inside I installed my VHF converters inside it screwed to the back panel via those big ventilation slots.

There's a guy who lives in a high rise on the upper west side -- don't remember his call right now, but if I pore through logs I could likely find it -- who uses a small mag loop on his balcony and is a killer signal from NYC on 17m and 20m. He's stronger than anyone in that area using a dipole or vertical. But his 'antenna' is up about 400 feet above the Hudson River. Maybe you know who I mean, haven't worked him lately.

Another guy, W2NKO, used to be a 'big gun' on 2m in the day. Amazing signal, always working VA, NC, KY etc. from NYC back before anyone was on SSB. I visited Al to see what his secret was.

His secret was he was in a high-rise in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn using 8/8 beams above the roof and up probably 350 or 400 feet above the street. Geesh, what a signal.

3. WB2KSP

At my work place we used to have a log periodic on the roof of the building. That's changed to a Step IR. I haven't been up to the station in many many years, just don't have the time but I hear it has a good signal. It's callsign is WA2CBS. Looking at the QRZ page they still have the old log periodic picture up. That's long gone. When I started in 1978 I don't think there were any dishes on the roof. We had a FM antenna which is probably still there. It's a single element S antenna. Today the place is filled with dishes of every style. We had three C band dishes on the roof for transmission and distribution. They too are gone for all practical purposes. It's ever evolving. If you evr have the chance to visit, the Armstrong tower off Rt 9 W in Alpine is fascinating and their neighbors nightmare in that it is a regional communica
    A colleague took my NC 303 and I never saw it again. The HT 44 was my first SSB rig. It used 2 matched 6DQD sweep tubes. Not quite the same as 6146'a but they were inexpensive. The NC303 was the definition of boat anchor but it was a real receiver, not a toy. At the Alpine/Armstrong tower they have a radio museum with many ham radio items, as well as Armstrong band pre war FM radios. It's quite an impressive collection. I visited twice, initially for an SBE (Society Of Broadcast Engineers) meeting and for the 75th anniversary celebration. I gave my Johnson Ranger 1 (can you say 11 meter ham band) to a fellow ham who had it stolen from him. All of that classic gear is from an entirely different era. Transmitters with tube VFO's drifted and it wasn't unusual to follow a person up and down frequency with your receiver a few cycles during a QSO. I never had to go crystal but those early VFO's left a lot to be desired. Today the VFO's are rock solid. Most rigs offer an option to prevent any drift although to be honest I haven't seen the need for this option. I guess if you were running a beacon it would be necessary. It's really pretty amazing how quickly we adjust to today's drift free, no warm up solid state transceivers.

4. WB2KSP

That's 6DQ6's. Don't know what I was thinking of.

5. WB2WIK

I've been to the Armstrong tower in Alpine lots of times; used to live only about 25 miles from it, and could see it out my bedroom window as a kid.

Yes, it preceded most of the residential mansions in the area, so too bad for those who bought in later if they don't like it. Although some homes there are as old as the tower is. Alpine, NJ used to be 'the highest priced zip code' in the country, although I don't think it still is. Last time I visited several years ago I noted Whoopi Goldberg lived almost adjacent to the tower and I parked in front of her house to work 2m FM from the car.

AFAIK Alpine still doesn't have residential mail delivery...if you live there, you go to the post office to pick up your mail. Pretty quaint.

I liked the NC-303. Not a bad RX at all, and paired it later with my Heath Marauder HX-10 on HF. If I had a Warrior amplifier that would have made a good looking station, but instead I had a Johnson Thunderbolt...bigger than the Warrior and a bit more powerful. That was in the late sixties, and I lived in Springfield, NJ at the time.

It's true newer ops who weren't around in that period are a bit 'spoiled' by how great, small and inexpensive ham gear is today. It's never been better or cheaper.

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another factor influencing HOAs, CC&Rs and such is what I'll call "local culture".

In some places, particularly older Northeastern cities and surrounding areas, the "local culture" is that you have zoning codes, nuisance ordinances, building codes, inspections, and much more - and they're enforced. You also have relatively high real-estate prices, low turnover, and older houses, often back to the 1920s or further. HOAs and such have a hard time getting a foothold in such places, and when they do, it's almost always with newer construction (1970s and later).

In other places, the "local culture" is more about "low taxes" and "small government". Such places often have high turnover, newer homes, relatively low real estate prices, few codes and ordinances and zoning. Such places also tend to be HOA heaven.

The overall result is that what's relatively easy in one place is often near-impossible someplace else. Worse, people cannot always choose where to live based solely on Amateur Radio. Just not practical.

N5PZJ likes this.
  7. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

"Local Culture" is an excellent framing of this problem called "Regional Customs" in polite Real Estate Circles. It can range from the FORBIDDEN SUBJECTS (race) to the plain silly (Wood vs Stone)! And everything in between! Government involvement surely comes under that auspice, why folks want "Private" Government instead of "Public" Government is even beyond me, but most of these HOA type properties at first touted their exclusivity then wanted public money for their streets!! And it never stops! The Security Guards wanted to carry side arms as a private police force, hiring off duty deputies would be expensive so without POST (Police Officers State Training) no carrying side arms, BARNEY. The reason the HOA backed off was to train security guards in POST would make them qualified to become LAW ENFORCEMENT and most would quit for better pay!! Lets not even mention garbage collection!!!

Yeah, get someone else to pay for it, and don't make that mean Federal Government and their Courts make me do it!!!

8. WB2KSP

Well I'm off soon to look in anothr area of Florida and maybe I'll find something reasonable. On the other hand I did learn about this:http://www.zerofive-antennas.com/30...ommercial-duty-flagpole-vertical-antenna-sale

It with enough radials and an amp (never had to use one but if forced into it) might be something worth considering. This looks like a decent antenna as opposed to having to settle for buddy poles and stealth wire antennas mounted beneath the eves.

N5PZJ likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

There's lots of FL without HOAs. We had a house in Atlantic Beach near JAX where there were no covenants nor HOA and it was pretty nice but there were things about FL we just didn't like so we moved. One was the rather amazing lightning storms, holy cow.

My in-laws in Pensacola about 2 miles north of the beach have a really nice home on an acre, no HOA, no restrictions. It's a modern home from the 80s, but not 'new.' Big retirement town and of course a Navy town but I like it. VERY inexpensive compared with here and that's an attraction. But they did get slightly slammed during Katrina, as did much of the Gulf coast. It wasn't that bad and all repairs were completed in a few weeks. Biggest deal was the winds, which ripped their solar heating system right off their roof and did some other damage, but again this was not unexpected from a major hurricane and it wasn't much of a big deal for them.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

...even though it ranks as the state with by far, the highest percentage of homes in a HOA (40% vs #2 with 28%). IIRC, the nationwide average is 26%. WA is #3 at 26% I believe but, I still quickly found my non-HOA house within 20 miles of Seattle.

The best part is no hurricanes, and fewer ground shakers than CA. :)