I created an easy way to support Amateur Radio Parity Act...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KU0O, Jul 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

It's all relative. Yes I suppose it's not the southern most part of the state but it's east of Philadelphia so I consider it south. My mother in law lived in Jamesburg and I consider that south central. Anyway, The two towns mentioned aren't in the boondocks and present possiblities. Now if we could get the bills through congress that would open up many options. As of now If I bought in Jersey I could remote into the station from a winter home in Florida, which could easily be a condo. With today's software I could talk, change frequencies, turn a beam and run CW all from my computer. Amazing really.

W5WN likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's true, and it's getting easier all the time due to technology advancements and hams actually developing software and accessories specifically for this application.

I'd want to run a remote station that included an HF amp, and that part gets trickier. A good solid state amp with computer controlled bandswitching might work well and they're already on the market; but if something trips off or fails, requiring service or a manual reset, that's a long trip (FL to NJ) to make to perhaps flip a switch or something. Still, hams do have remote stations including amps, sometimes even tube amps (!) and seem to keep them going.

Re the NNJ/SNJ line, it varies based on who you ask but the ARRL "section" delineation is SNJ contains the counties of Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Mercer, Ocean and Salem. Toms River would be SNJ, Freehold (Monmouth Co.) would be NNJ.

3. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an Elecraft KPA-500. It is automatic bandswitching and there is computer software that controls everything on the amp that you can do physically located next to it and manually pushing buttons. Everything can be reset and everything can be monitored (fault conditions, final transistor voltage, temperature, power output, swr and more). The amplifier covers 160-6 meters and has smooth, full qsk. It's a conservatively rated 500 watt output amp, which is all I really want. I saved a few hundred dollars and got the kit and assembled it in a day. I highly recommend this amplifier for remote operation.

4. WB2KSP

Elecraft makes a good product. I was in Newington today at ARRL headquarters and they have a Collins pair on display with a D-104. The station on display is mint and very impressive. It wasn't inexpensive as the pair alone was $1600 when it was sold. It's also missing the WARC bands hi hi. :) If I do remote my station I will have it in a battery backup UPS. They aren't expensive today. My current desk top required a pure sign wave UPS and while they are somewhat more expensive they aren't a deal breaker. I also intend to install solar panels in my next home, which would be helpful. It would also help to have a good neighbor or friend who could come over and reset what needed to be reset. Years ago I was on packet radio talking with a visiting TI station who was in NY with his daughter to see the NY open tennis match. He asked me to connect with his home packet station on HF so I turned my TH5 south west and connected with his station. He was them able to go through my system to read his packet mail. In the US you couldn't leave a HF packet station unattended so I asked him what happens to his station at home in Costa Rica if something happens and he told me it was no worry, the maid knows what to do. That was in the pre public internet days.

W5WN likes this.
  5. W5WN

Great ideas! You are well on your way to a first class remote operation! The technology is there now. You just have to make choices. To me, it was like becoming a Novice all over again and experiencing the thrill of getting it all working and making contacts!

BTW, I lived in Hamilton Square in Hamilton Township (Mercer County) from 1958 to 1961 when I was growing up. I have wonderful memories of those times and have been to Freehold many times. I remember going to the boardwalk in Asbury Park where we had a lot of fun when the tourists weren't there. I think you will enjoy the area that you are considering.

WB2KSP likes this.
  6. WB2KSP

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm in southern NY state on the Jersey border, about 35 minutes from midtown Manhattan. My wife is from Jersey and likes the Jersey shore. After the disappointment that Delaware and Florida were when it came to finding decent housing without an HOA this was a very welcome relief. I had my Tailtwister rebuilt and brought up to current standards. Mine is very old made long before M.F.J. started producing the Hygain rotors. It easily turned the TH5 Mk2 so I'll either rebuild that or go with a Spider Beam. I've decided on that one because it has more gain than the competitors and for $150 or so they will build it for you so that all you have to do is attach everything at your site. No measuring etc. That means no frustration. The only question will be is how to get my wires in the air. Currently my antennas are homemade V's with one being at 60 feet and the other, a 20 meter V up 75 feet. It's fed by LMR 400 and a W2DU current balun. With these two antennas and 100 watts I've gone from 105 confirmed in 2011 to 288 entities confirmed as of today and I'm two short (waiting for QSL's) for an 80 meter DXCC , which will give me a 8 band DXCC. When I returned to the air in August of 2011 I hadn't worked anyone on the WARC bands and now I have DXCC's on 30, 17 & 12 meters using my homemade 80/40 meter inverted V. I lost over 10 years operating time between the time we moved and when I returned to the air. I learned my lesson and will not allow a move to limit the operation of my station again. I also paid off my lifetime membership to the league so I am here to stay. :)

W5WN likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

Cool stuff.

I grew up in NNJ and spent lots of time in AP. Back when I was in HS and early days of college, a little band called the E Street Band used to play for free on the boardwalk and outside the Stone Pony. That was a young Bruce Springsteen and his group. We thought they were great and had no idea they'd also become famous a few years later. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes used to play there also.

My grandmother, of all people, lived right on the beach in Bradley Beach in her retirement years. She was right on Ocean Avenue in a very nice apartment that of course didn't allow ham antennas. I was a teen, and I was a ham and no way was going to be spending weekends with Grandma, 100 feet from the ocean, without radio. I sneaked a vertical up right outside her apartment next to the patio, painted it green and added artificial foliage to it, purchased at the 99 Cent store and held in place with green zip ties. No room for radials, but I did drive a ground rod in and connected to that.

My station at the time was all tube gear and I brought my SB-100 and power supply, W9TO keyer and Vibrokeyer paddle...did better from there than I did from home. Being right next to the ocean helps a lot. At night I was part of the 'night scene' in AP and always in clubs and stuff, but on Sunday I'd be on the air and had a ball.

W5WN likes this.
  8. W5WN

Congratulations! You are definitely on a positive track! Once you find the home you want to move to in retirement, you will see the possibilities. Maybe an 80 meter full wave loop fed with balanced line for all band coverage in remote operation (that's what I use with a 1,500 watts auto-tuner), a vertical, or an OCF dipole for multi-band coverage. Also, with a little more effort and technology, you can switch antennas to a beam and control your rotor as well.

Good luck and the best to you and yours in this holiday season. I wish you well and am very glad to share what I can with you.

9. W5WN

Great! The stories of our youth in ham radio are so rich and live with us our entire lives! I have many memories that have not been committed to the written word. I guess I always thought they were only important to me.

10. WB2WIK

Do tell.

Many might be interested, although that should be another thread...maybe 'radio related stuff I did as a kid.'

W5WN likes this.