HW-16 saga continues - now going deep to get it right

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, the HW-16 is very happily and productively back on the air!! And yes, the light is green from
    bayonet base green LEDs - haterz gonna hate, but in the shack it looks wonderful at night and can
    easily be changed back to #44, #47 or (my preference) #51 bulbs at any time :)

Works BEAUTIFULLY now. After a full realignment of both the transmitter and the receiver, I'm
    now at a full 45 watts OUTPUT on all 3 bands (80, 40, and 20) and the receiver is hot and quiet.

Add to the mix the HD-10 I bought 2 weeks ago for $7 is now also restored and works really well
    with the HW-16 - it's the first time it's ever been used for a contact (was wired wrong when I
    got it and it never could have worked) - so yesterday, I worked 4 new "HW-16 states" with it,
    as its very first contacts in over 40 years! How cool is that?

And LUCK OF LUCK - NOTE THE SPEAKER!!!! Can you believe that? I bought that yesterday in
    the first 2 minutes of being at the Mike & Key Club hamfest in Puyallup, WA - for $10!! It's a
    perfect HG-10 cabinet modified to be a speaker - so now I don't have to find and gut an HG-10
    to build my station console!! Can't believe I found it. It will get a complete new face, with built-in
    audio filter followed by a small amp, a contest keyer (K1EL) an LED digital UTC clock, and if I can
    fit it in, a 108v regulated power supply for the HG-10 VFO to take the load off the HW-16. And
    of course, the face will nearly perfectly match the other boxes and be called HW-16C for "console" :)

Lastly, in case your wondering, the silver keyer on the far left is an all-tube keyer with 6ASY "switch"
    for the keying line - very soft keying. The paddle is made from a defuct bug I had. But I seldom
    use this keyer anymore - it's big and bulky - has an awesome feel and keying setup though. It's
    sitting next to the 5-watt MOPA 40/80 box I finished a while back, that I pair with the R4A

Anyway, thanks for all the tips and help along the way. This is a great place to learn things!

Look for me on 20 and 40 CW!!

Dave
    W7UUU

Attached Files:

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Molly likes the shack too - her favorite place in the house to hang out

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

Attached Files:

3. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

The station looks awesome Dave! I like the green lights too.

4. W7UUU

Thanks Sherman. They look really nice at night in the (mostly) dark shack.

Can hardly wait to get the HW-16C under way - working on the modules that will
    comprise the console this week. LOTS of work travel, so slow going for a while.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have enjoyed reading this thread. I have a HW-16 waiting in my "to-do" pile. Based on what I have read here, I ordered the Hayseed kit. I plan to get it running "as is". Thanks Dave and others for all of the useful information. The HW-16 is now third in line behind some K-2 upgrades and building a two meter transverter.

Danny, W0JMP

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SWEET!!!!

If you're gonna run LEDs, green is the color!

Plus they can be done as a totally reversible mod.

One suggestion:

The console should have a designation such as "HA-16", "HD-16", HG-16 or such. Heath had a definite scheme in the Hx-n(nn) system:

HA: Amplifier

HD: Accessories

HG: VFOs

HM: Meters

HN: Dummy loads

HO: Oscilloscopes

HP: Power supplies

HR: Receivers

HW: Transceivers

HX: Transmitters

Of course there were exceptions. But a suffix letter usually meant a new version - an HW-12A is an improved HW-12.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks better than the blue Dave.

8. W7UUU

Hmmm... HD-16 conflicts with the code oscillator though.... probably have to break the
    rules a bit and call it the HC-16 for "console" - they didn't appear to use that letter combo

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I LIKE it!

Perhaps "HC-10" would be better, because it is in an HG-10 case, and the HG-10 is essentially an accessory to the HW-16...

----

This leads me to "Heathkits I wish they'd made"......

Imagine if they'd made an improved HW-16:

1) 4 or 5 position bandswitch, with space to add coils and crystals for 20 and 10 meters when you upgraded. The basic rig price would be low but for a few dollars more....

2) RF gain and AF gain control locations reversed.

3) "HG-16" VFO. This would be a less-expensive version of the HG-10 which would have reduced coverage (no need for 6 and 2 meters, nor the 'phone bands).

4) Matching speaker/transmatch/SWR unit ("HC-16")

10. W7UUU

Perfect! I like that. Fits the proper nomenclature. Thanks for the input!

All good ideas - but I'm really looking forward to my HC-10 project - already working out panel art and functions.
    Once the LED clock board/parts (kit) get here from China and a bezel that I found that should fairly close the
    bezels on the HW-16/HG-10b I can really start getting it together. I'll run it as a separate project in Homebrew.
    I'm hoping to use matching grill "cloth" (actually metal, thanks to Tom!) for the HD-10 keyer for the HC-10
    speaker - going for a full system match in appearance.

In the meantime, the HW-16 is just a delight to use with that damn bias transistor circuit doing its job! Boy do
    I have great respect for that tiny little bit of this radio that really is a "make or break" - all the difference in the world
    in operation. And I'll be willing to bet the majority of "non restored but operational to some degree" HW-16s likely
    have a shorted Q1 and the owner fights it just like I did. Thanks again so much for all the help with that part!

Dave
    W7UUU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.