Hustler 5btv Radials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6BFL, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Put it on the ground and put in at least 16 - 20 radials (twice that many would be really good).

As for retuning? The antenna can be setup to deliver 1.5 - 1 or thereabouts on a portion of any of the bands. HOWEVER...these portions will be fairly narrow--especially on 80. Solution? Use an antenna tuner. Retuning the antenna itself just to move from the CW band to the phone band on 80, for example, is just not practical.

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought an elevated ground plane needed to be a quarter wave off the ground for maximum efficiency. Mine for 40m is only 20' above ground so not perfect but it does work.

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

id say at the distances you'er talking - 16-24" - it would still be considered a ground mount. It's a good portable mount idea but i'm not sure a 5g bucket filled with rocks will have enough weight/width to remain stable without guys. . . maybe look at a tripod mount?

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No. not at all.

5. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. The tilt base works very well.

I actually gave my 6BTV a 80M resonatorectomy. Really diminished the visibility of the antenna and the 80M performance was really not that good to begin with. Now it's a 5.5BTV. :)